Thursday, March 4, 2021

Review: The Eyes of Tamburah (Archives of the Invisible Sword #1) by Maria V. Snyder

About the Book
'He thinks you are the thief...'

Shyla is a researcher who resides in the underground desert city of Zirdai, which is ruled by the wealthy Water Prince and brutal Heliacal Priestess. Even though Shyla is sun-kissed - an outcast, considered cursed by the Sun Goddess - she is still renowned for uncovering innumerable archaic facts, lost artefacts, ancient maps and obscure historical documents. Her quiet life is about to change when Banqui, an archaeologist, enlists her services to find The Eyes of Tamburah: legendary gemstones that bestow great magic on their wielder. These ancient objects can tip the balance of power and give whoever possesses them complete control of the city.

But chaos erupts when The Eyes are stolen soon after they're found - and Shyla is blamed for the theft. Forced to flee, with the Prince's soldiers and the Priestess's deacons on her trail, Shyla must recover the jewels and clear her name. A quest that will unearth secrets even more valuable than The Eyes of Tamburah themselves...


My Thoughts

Wow, where do I even begin? I'm a huge Maria V. Snyder fan so I was beyond excited to finally get my hands on a copy of this book. It was released in Australia over a year ago but not here in the US. Talk about torture! It was well worth the wait though. It's fantastic. I think it's her best work since the Study Series. Which is saying a lot because I've LOVED everything I've read by her.

Like I've come to expect from Snyder, the world-building was spectacular. It's so complex and detailed, yet explained in a way that's easy to visualize and understand. The underground city of Zirdai was so interesting with all the different levels, people, and secrets.

The characters were fantastic, as well. Just as complex and detailed as the world-building. Shyla was such a great leading lady. So strong and fierce despite all the challenges she faced. And the growth she displayed from the beginning of the story to the end was striking. I loved seeing her come into her own and embrace who she really was. The rest of the characters were great too. There were times I didn't know who to trust. Times when I didn't know who the good guys were or what their motivations were. But trying to figure all that out was part of the fun.

This was a fast paced read. I wanted to fly through the pages but I made myself slowdown to savor it as long as I could. I wanted to spend as much time in this world and with these characters as possible. I didn't want it to end. If you're a fantasy fan, this book is a must read. I highly recommend it and can't wait for book two.

NOTE: This book does contain some strong language.

Five Stars

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Of course, I still need to read Snyder's other series. I'm so far behind. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get behind when there's so many good books out there and never enough time to read them all. :)

      Delete
  2. aaa I adore Maria's books!! I read that about the time it was first released and I am looking forward for the sequel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it! It seems like Maria can do no wrong. I've loved all of her books and am so anxious for the next one in this series. :)

      Delete