Thursday, March 25, 2021

Review: The Solstice Countdown (SPI Files #7) by Lisa Shearin

About the Book
As an agent of Supernatural Protection & Investigations (SPI), I know that evil doesn’t take a vacation, but this time it made an exception and followed me on mine.

I’m Makenna Fraser, seer for SPI, and I’m taking my boyfriend, goblin dark mage Rake Danescu, home for the holidays to meet my family.

Weird Sisters is a small town in the North Carolina mountains that was built on a network of ley lines that magnify psychic and paranormal energies. It doesn’t show up on Google Maps, was named after the three witches in Macbeth, and the first word of the town name perfectly describes most of its human and supernatural citizens.

A stranger has come to town, bringing with him a dormant source of primordial evil. Soon, magically gifted locals start vanishing, and the power of the ley lines is turned against us, cutting us off from the outside world and any source of help.

For a town and its people steeped in magic, and my family sworn to protect both, it’s a race against time to use a local winter solstice phenomenon to free the town from its prison. But first, I must trust a father I’ve never known to fight and defeat an awakening evil that’s existed since the beginning of time. If we fail, and it is unleashed, the world will not survive.


My Thoughts

The Solstice Countdown was another excellent addition to the SPI Files.

This has been such a great urban fantasy series and, just like the previous installments, this book definitely brought the laughs, along with lots of action and life-or-death moments. It was just an all-around great read.

I loved visiting Mac's hometown of Weird Sisters, meeting the residents, and getting to know Mac's family. They were such an amusing set of characters. I'd love a spin-off series featuring them. I imagine it would be so much fun!

There were some very exciting, and game-changing, events that happened here and I'm eager to see where things go in the next one. If you're a fan of urban fantasy, I highly recommend this series. Start with the first one and you'll be hooked.

Four Stars

2 comments:

  1. My library finally has a few books from this series! Yay. I'm excited. Now I can give this author a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! That's great news! I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it! I've loved everything I've read by her. I still need to read the Raine Benares series, but I'm sure I'll love that one too. :)

      Delete