Thursday, January 21, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1) by Olivia Atwater

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1) by Olivia Atwater. It's the perfect blend of historical and fantasy and so much fun!

About the Book
It’s difficult to find a husband in Regency England when you’re a young lady with only half a soul.

Ever since a faerie cursed her, Theodora Ettings has had no sense of fear, embarrassment, or even happiness—a condition which makes her sadly prone to accidental scandal. Dora’s only goal for the London Season this year is to stay quiet and avoid upsetting her cousin’s chances at a husband… but when the Lord Sorcier of England learns of her condition, she finds herself drawn ever more deeply into the tumultuous concerns of magicians and faeries.

Lord Elias Wilder is handsome, strange, and utterly uncouth—but gossip says that he regularly performs three impossible things before breakfast, and he is willing to help Dora restore her missing half. If Dora’s reputation can survive both her ongoing curse and her sudden connection with the least-liked man in all of high society, then she may yet reclaim her normal place in the world… but the longer Dora spends with Elias Wilder, the more she begins to suspect that one may indeed fall in love, even with only half a soul.

Pride and Prejudice meets Howl’s Moving Castle in this enthralling historical fantasy romance, where the only thing more meddlesome than faeries is a marriage-minded mama. Pick up Half a Soul, and be stolen away into debut author Olivia Atwater’s charming, magical version of Regency England!

Book Beginnings
Theodora Eloisa Charity Ettings was a very long name for a very small girl. This, her aunt liked to say, was probably why she was such a handful - by the time one had fully shouted the words "Theodora Eloisa Charity Ettings, you get back here this instant!", said ten-year old girl was almost always long gone.

Friday 56
Dora reached out to touch Elias very carefully on the shoulder. "You do not have many friends, Elias," she said slowly. "I may be wrong about this - in fact, I am most likely wrong - but I think that you are grieving. And if you trusted your friends enough to show that grief, instead of turning it to anger, you would not be outside in the rain."

What have you been reading lately?

24 comments:

  1. Half a Soul sounds so good (and it kind of reminds me of Gail Carriger's Soulless). I'm adding this one to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Gail Carriger's series when I first saw this one too. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I think I'm going to have to add this to my tbr. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my soul! (no pun intended) I'm not one for fantasy, but this one immediately got my attention! I am so going to take a look right now.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun reading it. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. OK, the comment about Pride and Prejudice meets Howl's Moving Castle got my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It made me so curious. Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Love that name! Great excerpts, too. Thanks for sharing,and here's mine: “BEFORE SHE DISAPPEARED”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure this is for me but I do hope that you love it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a good mix of genres! My post is here https://francebooktours.com/2021/01/22/loving-modigliani-friday-56/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I'd totally read this one. Have a good weekend, Ashley. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice little escape from the real world. Hope you have a good weekend too Lark! :D

      Delete
  9. Interesting twist on the Regency romance. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Gillion! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  10. Oh boy, I hope she gets her half of a soul back. That would awful, wouldn't it? My book this week is titled Kent State

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be the worst! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, I love that opening! It cracks me up, and it's super cute all at the same time (but by gosh, that IS a mouthful). I am SUPER curious about how it's comped to Howl's Moving Castle and also Pride and Prejudice. It sounds great!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing about that first line too. It's such a mouthful, lol! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  12. I love those excerpts. This is a new-to-me book, but I am definitely interested. Such an interesting premise! Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun read. Different, but just what I needed at the time. Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete