Thursday, January 14, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: A Dream within a Dream (Coffey & Hill #3) by Mike Nappa & Melissa Kosci

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring A Dream within a Dream (Coffey & Hill #3) by Mike Nappa & Melissa Kosci. The first two books in this series, Annabel Lee and The Raven, are some of my absolute favorites in this genre, so I was ecstatic to get this third installment for Christmas. I was afraid it wouldn't live up to it's predecessors, but it definitely does. I love it.

About the Book
Trudi Coffey only realizes that she hasn't seen Samuel Hill in weeks when the FBI shows up asking questions about him. After a strange encounter with an armed man demanding her help and an attack by a member of the Boston mob looking for someone named Dream, Trudi manages to find Samuel--or rather, he finds her. He's made some pretty powerful enemies, but right now his full attention is on protecting Dream from the mob. Because Dream has something they want--the map to the location of artwork stolen from the Gardener Museum during the infamous 1990 heist.

With danger closing in from all sides, Trudi and Samuel will have to call on all of their allies to keep Dream safe and discover the identity of the people who have been hunting down Samuel. The real questions are whom can they trust? And who will make it out of this thing alive?

Book Beginnings
"Get. Down."
He's driving too fast, looking too often at his rearview mirror. The world outside us is a strange, pale kind of twilight. There's no sun in the sky that I can see, yet there's still some kind of half-light, as if day is resisting night, refusing to go to bed like an ill tempered child.

Friday 56
Whispers circulated. Most of the group stayed pretty quiet with the two guards in the room, but I could hear how agitated they all were. Everyone, at least in their lucid moments, liked Clara. She treated everyone like a human being, even the inmates who seemed barely human.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. This sounds good. Here is mine: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/01/book-spotlight-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that this starts with a bit of action. Sucks me in right away, and I'm super curious about what's going on. This sounds like a rather thrilling read. Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly put it down! There's so much going on in it! Thanks for coming by, Sammie! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Laurel-Rain! Have a nice weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I really liked Annabel Lee! But I haven't read The Raven yet. I'm glad to hear that the third book is just as good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been such a great series. It's been fun seeing all the Poe references. Thanks for stopping by, Lark! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a page turner! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thanks for visiting, Freda! Happy weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  6. The title suggests there is more going on here than meets the eye. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there's mysteries within mysteries here. It's so interesting trying to figure everything out. Thanks for coming by, Roberta! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. I think I'm going to have to check into this series! Thanks for introducing me. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Lauren. It's such a great series. Thanks for stopping by! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. A Dream within a Dream sounds great from the excerpts you shared, Ashley. I haven't tried the first two in the series but will definitely have to give them a try since you speak so highly of them. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love them as much as I did if you do check them out. They're fantastic. Thanks for coming by! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  9. 'Okay, yup that's a beginning that would grabme rightaway. It's also a new author to me 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was immediately wondering what was going on. I love when a book pulls me in right away like that. Thanks for stopping by, Verushka! Have a great week! :)

      Delete