Thursday, January 28, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Apprentice (Collective Underground #1) by Kristen Young

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Apprentice (Collective Underground #1) by Kristen Young, an exciting and thought-provoking YA dystopia.

About the Book
The Love Collective is everywhere. It sees everything. Be not afraid.

Apprentice Flick remembers everything, except the first five years of her life. And for as long as she can remember, Flick has wanted to enter the Elite Academy - home to the best, brightest, and most loyal members of the Love Collective government.

Flick's uncanny memory might get her there, too … even if it is the very thing that marks her as a freak. But frightening hallucinations start intruding into her days and threaten to bring down all she has worked so hard to accomplish. Why is she being hijacked by a stranger's nightmare over and over again?

Moving to the Elite Academy could give Flick the future she's always wanted. But her search for truth may lead to a danger she cannot escape.

Book Beginnings
Some things should never be forgotten - at least, that's what they tell me. I can't forget anything. Not what I had for breakfast last week (regulation protein cereal). Not the Collective News broadcast from last month (Supreme Lover Midgate wanted to wish us all "a very happy Triumph of Love season".) Not even my first Hater Recognition Sign (Haters can't love. Period). 
Usually I can block most of it out, but sometimes it bubbles over, and I end up getting in trouble. Like when I recite my Dorm Leader's exact words back to them. Or worse: when I recite what they said four years ago.

Friday 56
Flashes of light fill my vision, like ripples of lightning across the surface of water. Dark clouds roll across a moonlit landscape. My skull throbs in pain.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Ooht his sounds very intriguing, the thing that singles you out is also the thing that can help you! I hope you're enjoying this one, or enjoyed it! I hope you have a lovely weekend and do drop by my Friday Post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an intriguing dilemma she faces. Thanks for stopping by, Juli! Hope you have a lovely weekend too. :)

      Delete
  2. Fascinating talent! It could be useful...or problematic. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE PERFECT GUESTS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. It's helpful sometimes, but a big problem others. Thanks for coming by, Laurel-Rain! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'd want to remember every single thing that happens to me like Flick apparently can; sometimes being able to forget something is what makes life bearable. :) Have a good weekend, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Lark. It'd be such a burdensome thing to have to deal with. Hope you have a good weekend too. :)

      Delete
  4. Being able to remember everything is definitely not my problem, especially recently. The "be not afraid" seems like a big warning signal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you, Roberta. I'll go into another room to do something and once I get there, I've forgotten what I was supposed to be doing. Thanks for visiting! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I think I'm going to have to look into this one!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it a lot. Very thought-provoking. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren. Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. It was really good. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. "Or worse: when I recite what they said four years ago." This line really caught my attention and has me wanting to know what was said 4 years ago. Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That line had me so curious to know what got her in trouble. Thanks for coming by, Suzanne! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. To have a memory like that--would be either a blessing or a curse, probably some of both. This sounds really interesting. I hope you are enjoying it! Have a great week, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally see it being a blessing and a curse too. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete