Thursday, July 16, 2020

Review: A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory #2) by Elizabeth Camden

About the Book
Caroline Delacroix is at the pinnacle of Washington high society in her role as secretary to the first lady of the United States. But beneath the façade of her beauty, glamorous wardrobe, and dazzling personality, she's hiding a terrible secret. If she cannot untangle a web of foreign espionage, her brother will face execution for treason.

Nathaniel Trask is the newly appointed head of the president's Secret Service team. He is immediately suspicious of Caroline despite his overwhelming attraction to her quick wit and undeniable charm. Desperate to keep the president protected, Nathaniel must battle to keep his focus fully on his job as the threat to the president rises.

Amid the glamorous pageantry of Gilded Age Washington, DC, Caroline and Nathaniel will face adventure, danger, and heartbreak in a race against time that will span the continent and the depth of human emotion.


My Thoughts
“You are unconditionally loved. Unconditionally forgiven. You are a child of God, deserving of more credit than you’re giving yourself. None of us are perfect. We will stumble and fall and make mistakes time and again, but we can’t wallow in our failure. Someday we have to accept God’s grace to stand up and try again."

What a wonderful historical romance! I didn't think there was any way I'd enjoy A Gilded Lady as much as The Spice King, the first book in this series, but I did!

This book follows Caroline Delacroix, the sister of the leading man from The Spice King. I enjoyed getting to know her better. She's the personal secretary to Ida McKinley, the most disliked first lady in US history. Caroline was the perfect companion for Mrs. McKinley. She was respectful, but didn't take any guff from her. Their friendship really showed a different side to Mrs. McKinley. Plus, knowing all of her struggles and health issues, it made me wonder if maybe she was just the most misunderstood first lady in US history.

Nathaniel Trask was a great guy. He was serious, a little buttoned-up at times, and a staunch rule follower, but his dedication was admirable. Did he take it a little too far sometimes? Yes, but he definitely had valid reasons why. The banter between him and Caroline was a lot of fun. You could tell there was something special between the two of them. They had great chemistry, but there were quite a few obstacles in their way.

I know I say this with every Elizabeth Camden book, but the historical details were amazing. I always learn so many interesting tidbits of history I never knew before. I love that!

If you're a fan of historical romance, you'll love A Gilded Lady. I highly, highly recommend it. I'm so excited for Luke's story in book three! It can't come out soon enough!

Five Stars

4 comments:

  1. I've added both this one and The Spice King to my TBR list. They both sound like fun romantic suspense reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love them! Elizabeth Camden is one of my go-to authors for historical romance. :)

      Delete