Thursday, February 6, 2020

Review: On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers #2) by Roseanna M. White

About the Book
All of England thinks Phillip Camden a monster--a man who deliberately caused the deaths of his squadron. But as nurse Arabelle Denler watches the so-dubbed "Black Heart" every day, she sees something far different: a hurting man desperate for mercy. And when their paths twist together and he declares himself her new protector, she realizes she has her own role to play in his healing.

Phillip Camden would have preferred to die that day with his squadron rather than be recruited to the Admiralty's codebreaking division. The threats he receives daily are no great surprise and, in his opinion, well deserved. What comes as a shock is the reborn desire to truly live that Arabelle inspires in him.

But when an old acquaintance shows up and seems set on using him in a plot that has the codebreakers of Room 40 in a frenzy, new affections are put to the test.


My Thoughts

This book, y'all! It was so, so good! It's Roseanna White at her finest.

Ara and Camden were wonderful characters. Ara was an admirable lady. She had such a giving and selfless heart. She was so quick to offer forgiveness, even to those that had wronged her or the ones she loved. I also thought it was really sweet that she prayed for Camden even before she knew him. She glimpsed a hurting soul and wanted to help him. If only the world could be more like her.

I have a hard time resisting a broody leading man and that's exactly what Cam was. I was drawn to him right from the start. I hurt for him, though. The guilt he felt for something that happened to his squadron, tore him up inside. He was devastated, but hid it behind charm, bravado, and jests.

I could gush about this book forever, but I know there's no way I'll be able to do it justice. I'll just end by saying, go grab yourself a copy. You don't want to miss out on this gem.

Five Stars

4 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. I really should read more stories set during WWI.

      Delete
    2. There certainly are a lot of them to choose from lately! I just checked out Girls on the Line which is also set in WWI...though without any codebreaking in it, so it might not be as fun as this one. :)

      Delete
    3. I'll have to check out Girls on the Line. Thanks for mentioning it! :D

      Delete