Thursday, January 17, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Steelheart (The Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Steelheart (The Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson.


About the Book
Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his will.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart — the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning — and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.

Book Beginning
I've seen Steelheart bleed.

Friday 56
"Your work means something!" I yelled. "But it's not enough! So long as the most powerful of the Epics consider themselves immune, nothing will change. So long as you leave them alone, you're essentially proving what they've always said! That if an Epic is strong enough, he can take what he wants, do what he wants. You're saying they deserve to rule."

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Great quotes! I've read a couple of books by Brandon Sanderson before, but none from this series; although, Steelheart seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book I've read of his. I've really enjoyed it and definitely want to check out some of his other books. Thanks for coming by, Breana! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the quotes and love that cover.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! Thanks for visiting, Sherry! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I have this audiobook and I cannot wait to get to it! Great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by, Daniela! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. The excerpts are great! The 56 reminds me of how power in the wrong hands can be disastrous.

    Here's mine: “THE LIAR’S ROOM”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! Thanks for visiting, Laurel-Rain! Have an amazing weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I liked this one but not nearly as much as many of my students who devoured it. This week I am spotlighting a middle grade fantasy - The Storm Keeper's Island by Catherine Doyle - from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a lot of fun with this one. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. This series was popular in my library but I never read it. Enjoy your book. I'm highlighting quotes from Devotions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great read. Thanks for coming by, Anne! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Freda! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. Hmm. Sounds like an interesting premise. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun. Thanks for coming by, Nicki! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. I need to pick up this author one of these days. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to read more from him. I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for visiting, Lauren! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete