Thursday, January 10, 2019

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Gaffe Out Loud (The Worst Detective Ever #7) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Gaffe Out Loud (The Worst Detective Ever #7) by Christy Barritt. This is probably my favorite Christy Barritt series and I'm so happy to finally have a new installment. It's awesome to be back with all these quirky and hilarious characters.

About the Book
Actress Joey Darling is beginning a new season . . . of her TV show and her life.

Joey Darling’s life is finally on track. Her hit series has been picked up by a new network, her relationship with Detective Jackson Sullivan couldn’t be better, and she’s even bought a house. But right after taking possession, Joey discovers a dead body upstairs.

Joey knows she won’t have any peace until she figures out why a dead woman was left at her house and who killed her. And she desperately needs peace as the “normal” life she’s trying to establish quickly progresses from great to the brink of collapse.

The countdown is ticking as Joey must soon leave to begin filming. But one gaffe after another slows her investigation and makes her question her choices. The closer Joey gets to answers, the more someone is determined to make sure this season of her life is canceled—permanently.
 

Book Beginning
"Oh. My. Goodness. There aren't his or her sinks in this ensuite?" I paused dramatically, making sure my eyes were wide with disbelief as I stood in the center of the master bathroom.

Friday 56
My heart stuttered out of control. I was dangling from the deck.
Two stories stretched below me. Two stories. That would be enough to crush some bones. Hurt my head.
Kill me?
I didn't know. And I didn't want to find out.

What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. What? Is she being dangled by someone or is it an accident? My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The railing gave way and she's trying to hang on. At first it seems like an accident, but there's evidence that points to the railing being sabotaged.

      Thanks for coming by, Anne! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. My gosh! I really want to know how she got from that opening to dangling two stories up!

    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey tends to find herself in troubling situations way too often, lol. But that's what makes this series so much fun to read. Thanks for stopping by, Louise! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Ashley! I need to read this series! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're gonna love this series! It's so much fun! And thanks for the birthday wishes! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, my, from her dramatic reaction to the lack of his and her sinks in the ensuite to something truly dramatic. What a leap!

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “BY THE BOOK”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Joey LOVES the drama, lol! Thanks for visiting, Laurel-Rain! Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with the previous comments! I wonder how that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey can be quite clumsy at times, but this moment wasn't her fault. It seems like someone's out to get her!

      Thanks for stopping by, Acanthea! Have an amazing weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Me too! It makes me laugh every time I see it! Thanks for coming by, Lark! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. Whoa. That's a long ways down! This sounds like a fun series and new to me. I'll be checking it out.

    My Friday 56 from The Haunting Of Henderson Close

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be so terrifying to be in her position! Thanks for visiting, Laura! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for coming by, Freda! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It definitely does! Thanks for visiting, Nicki! Have a fantastic weekend! :)

      Delete
  10. I can't say I've heard of it, but it sounds fun. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always laughing when I read a book in this series. They're so great! Thanks for coming by, Lauren! Happy reading! :)

      Delete