Thursday, November 8, 2018

Review: Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga #1) by Morgan L. Busse

About the Book
Lady Selene is the heir to the Great House of Ravenwood and the secret family gift of dreamwalking. As a dreamwalker, she can enter a person's dreams and manipulate their greatest fears or desires. For the last hundred years, the Ravenwood women have used their gift of dreaming for hire to gather information or to assassinate.

As she discovers her family's dark secret, Selene is torn between upholding her family's legacy--a legacy that supports her people--or seeking the true reason behind her family's gift.

Her dilemma comes to a head when she is tasked with assassinating the one man who can bring peace to the nations, but who will also bring about the downfall of her own house.

One path holds glory and power, and will solidify her position as Lady of Ravenwood. The other path holds shame and execution. Which will she choose? And is she willing to pay the price for the path chosen?
 


My Thoughts

I loved Morgan L. Busse's Soul Chronicles and got so excited when I saw that she had a new series coming out. I couldn't wait to dive into it. I was expecting to really enjoy Mark of the Raven and, I've gotta say, it exceeded all expectations and was even better than I thought it'd be. It's fast-paced and I couldn't read it quickly enough. I ended up neglecting everything else and read the last quarter of the book in one sitting.

There was a lot of pressure on Selene to restore House Ravenwood to it's former glory. She's extremely conflicted about how her family's gift is used. She feels a deep sense of wrong but to not use her gift would send her family and their people into ruin. It's such a dilemma for her. The journey she goes on to discovering herself is truly captivating.

And Damien! Oh my! He's such a good and noble guy, always looking to do the right thing even when it's the most difficult thing to do. He's definitely one of my favorite leading men that I've read about lately.

The characters were so great. All of them, even the minor ones, were distinct and fully fleshed out, seeming like real people I could easily picture in my mind.

A near-perfect fantasy, Mark of the Raven is not to be missed. I wish I could give it more than five stars; it was just that good. And with that ending, goodness, I need the next book, like, right now!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Five Stars

2 comments:

  1. Always nice when a new book exceeds expectations. Especially when it's the start of a new series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's so nice when that happens! Thanks for stopping by, Lark! :)

      Delete