Thursday, November 8, 2018

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Prose and Cons (A Magical Bookshop Mystery #2) by Amanda Flower

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring a fun cozy mystery that I recently finished - Prose and Cons by Amanda Flower.

About the Book
Magic, books, and cats collide in a village near Niagara Falls in the latest mystery from the author of Crime and Poetry...
 
In Cascade Springs, New York, Violet Waverly and her grandma, Daisy, are the proprietors of Charming Books, where the power of the written word is positively enchanting...
 
October in Cascade Springs means tourists are pouring in for the annual Food and Wine Festival, and Daisy hopes to draw those crowds to the store. She asks Violet and the local writing group, the Red Inkers, to give a reading of the works of Edgar Allan Poe in the shop’s back garden to entertain the revelers. Everyone eagerly agrees.

Yet their enthusiasm is soon extinguished when Violet discovers one of the writers dead during the event. After the shop magically tells Violet she’ll need to rely on Poe’s works to solve the murder, she enlists the help of her trusty tuxedo cat, Emerson, and the shop’s crow, Faulkner. But they must act fast before someone else’s heart beats nevermore...

Book Beginning
A petite teenage girl stood in front of the display of sports biographies that was tucked away in a small corner of the bookshop Charming Books, which I co-owned with my grandma Daisy in the village of Cascade Springs, New York, and chewed on her lip.
Friday 56
I blinked as if to make sure I wasn't imagining the dead woman at my feet.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Good quotes, especially page 56! Seems like a charming book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! Thanks for coming by, Lisbeth! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I love books set in bookshops...and charming villages. Great cover, too. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “NINE PERFECT STRANGERS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time resisting a book set in a bookshop. Add in the 'paranormal' element and I just can't say no. Thanks for visiting, Laurel-Rain! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. The quotes and the setting really pique my interest, especially the Friday 56. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small town settings like this one are my favorite. Thanks for stopping by, Roberta! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like another great cozy series. I wish I could keep up with them all. This week I am spotlighting Those Who Go By Night by Andrew Gaddes - a medieval mystery from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are so many great cozies out there but just not enough time to read them all. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'd probably blink before I reacted to a dead woman at my feet and then I'd scream. My Friday Quotes and review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd do the same! Thanks for coming by, Anne! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I love bookish mysteries and this one sounds really good! This series has been on my radar since the first one came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun series! Thanks for visiting, Katherine! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I love books about bookshops, especially if there's a little magic in them, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Those are my favorites! Thanks for coming by, Lark! Have a fantastic weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. A kitty! Yay! Hope you enjoy your new cosy mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for visiting, Nicki! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun cozy!! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Thanks for coming by, Freda! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete