Thursday, September 20, 2018

Review: The Cost of Betrayal: Three Romantic Suspense Novellas

About the Book
In Dee Henderson's novella "Betrayed," Janelle Roberts is freed--thanks to people she doesn't know--after serving six years of a twenty-year sentence for a murder she did not commit. But a murderer is still at large, and Janelle needs to be somewhere safe with someone she can trust. She may not survive another betrayal.

In Dani Pettrey's "Deadly Isle," Tennyson Kent is trapped on the isolated island of her childhood by a storm surge, and she is shocked when the typically idyllic community turns into the hunting grounds of a murderer. Cut off from any help from the mainland, will she and first love Callen Frost be able to identify and stop a killer bent on betrayal before they become the next victims?

In Lynette Eason's "Code of Ethics," trauma surgeon Ruthie St. John saves the life of Detective Isaac Martinez. After a betrayal leads to him getting shot and then attacked while in recovery, Isaac is now a key witness determined to testify. But someone is intent on silencing him--and those around him--forever. Together, Ruthie and Isaac go on the run, desperate to escape the killers hunting him.


My Thoughts

The Cost of Betrayal features three novellas from some of the best romantic suspense authors out there right now. I really enjoyed these author's first collection, Sins of the Past, and was excited to hear about this new one.

Betrayed by Dee Henderson – Three Stars
This was my second time reading anything by Dee Henderson. It was good, but probably my least favorite of the collection. By no means was it bad, it was just a bit slower moving than I was expecting and had an unresolved ending that was kinda disappointing. But it was still an interesting read that kept me intrigued.

Deadly Isle by Dani Pettrey – Four Stars
I've read and loved many of Pettrey's books, so I was excited to start reading this one. It was action-packed right from the beginning and didn't really let up. I do wish it had been a bit longer though. I know it's a novella, but the whole story felt rushed. Though the characters were great and it did hold my attention the whole way through.

Code of Ethics by Lynnette Eason – Five Stars
I've been loving Eason's Blue Justice series and was very eager for Ruthie's story. She's a trauma surgeon and the only member of her family not involved in law enforcement. I loved every pulse-pounding moment of this novella. It had everything I love in a good romantic suspense: nonstop action, intrigue, great characters, and a little bit of romance. I finished it in one sitting. It was unputdownable.

All in all, The Cost of Betrayal was a good collection of stories that I'd recommend to anyone who loves romantic suspense. I hope these authors team up again for another collection!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment