Friday, September 7, 2018

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Waking Beauty by Brittlyn Gallacher Doyle

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring a retelling of Sleeping Beauty - Waking Beauty by Brittlyn Gallacher Doyle.

About the Book
Fairy tales always end with “and they lived happily ever after,” but what if there was more to the story?
When Princess Aurora Claire wakes up from her 100-year sleep, she thinks she’s found her happily ever after with Prince Damien. Her picturesque world is soon shaken when people in the castle start falling into a deep sleep. The charm of her prince charming begins to wear thin as they embark on a perilous journey to save the kingdom. Has she been falling in love with the wrong person all along? As she battles an enchanted forest and races against time to find the original fairy who saved them all, will she find a way to revive her kingdom and discover the secret to lasting happiness?



Book Beginning
The glittering point of the needle winked at me. I had never seen a spinning wheel, but what else could it be? My hand reached out of it's own accord as my feet brought me closer.

Friday 56 (56% on my Kindle)
James sensed my fidgety hesitation and turned to me. "It'll be fine. I - We're trained for this sort of thing."

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. Sleeping Beauty is my husband's favorite Disney princess, but in the movie, you don't get to see much of her personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it before, but that's so true about the movie. Thanks for coming by, Brooke! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. My daughter loves fairy tale retellings. I will have to tell her about this one. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for stopping by, Anne! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I love fairy tale retellings. I'll have to add this one to my list. This week I am spotlighting Burning Ridge by Margaret Mizushima. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love retellings too. They're so much fun! Thanks for visiting, Kathy! Happy reading to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. The idea that Prince Charming might not be the right guy for her is intriguing. Sounds like a fun retelling/extending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what intrigued me the most about this story! Such a different and interesting take on the original! Thanks for coming by, Roberta! Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. The beginning sounds so magical, it pulled me right in!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did me too! Thanks for visiting, Freda! Happy weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It definitely is! Thanks for coming by, Nicki! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I love re-tellings! This is an interesting take!! Beauty of a cover, too!

    Here's my post for Friday. Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a beautiful cover! Thanks for stopping by, Sassy! Hope you're enjoying your weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's a cute story! Thanks for visiting, AJ! Happy reading! :)

      Delete