Friday, September 21, 2018

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Hazardous Duty (Squeaky Clean Mysteries #1) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Hazardous Duty (Squeaky Clean Mysteries #1) by Christy Barritt - a fun and quirky cozy mystery.

About the Book
Buying a gun to kill your wife: $3,000
Hiring Trauma Care to clean afterward: $1,500
Having that same cleaner uncover evidence that frames you: Priceless

On her way to completing a degree in forensic science, Gabby St. Claire drops out of school and starts her own crime scene cleaning business. When a routine cleaning job uncovers a murder weapon the police overlooked, she realizes that the wrong person is in jail. But the owner of the weapon is a powerful foe . . . and willing to do anything to keep Gabby quiet.

With the help of her new neighbor, Riley Thomas, a man whose life and faith fascinate her, Gabby plays the detective to make sure the right person is put behind bars. Can Riley help her before another murder occurs?

(Available for free right now on Amazon and other ebook retailers!)

Book Beginning
Whistling a tune from Fiddler on the Roof, I used my tweezers to work a piece of Gloria Cunningham's skull out of the sky blue wall.

Friday 56 (56% on my Kindle)
I pulled my shoes on and grabbed my keys. As I stepped into the stairwell, I remembered my promise to not go anywhere alone. But I knew Riley wasn't home, nor was Sierra.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this book seems interesting. I also like the first three sentences of the synopsis. They're priceless. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They are priceless! I did have to chuckle at that. Thanks for stopping by, Breana! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. I like that this kind of story is in a cozy mystery...maybe it wouldn't freak me out too much!

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LULULEMONS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got a lot of humor in it and a couple of completely outrageous moments that had me laughing so hard. Thanks for visiting, Laurel-Rain! Have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Okay, I've just crossed another job off my list of possibilities. This does sound like an interesting mystery. This week I am featuring The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've gotta agree with you there. Crime scene cleaner would not be a job I'd want. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  4. Squeaky Clean mysteries. Ha! What will they think of next? My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a clever name for the series! Love it! Thanks for coming by, Anne! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like such fun - despite the murder, of course. There is a lightness in the writing that I enjoy.

    I'm featuring Broken Ground this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I love about Christy Barritt's writing. Things might get heavy and serious sometimes, but she always finds a way to lighten things up. Thanks for visiting, Bev! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds good. I'll have to keep it in mind. See what book Susan is featuring today at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! Thanks for coming by, Donna! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  7. Ew to the beginning, but I still like it... lol. Sometimes ew is good. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing when I first started reading it, lol! Thanks for stopping by, Freda! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's a really fun read! Thanks for visiting, Nicki! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. I hate to think that innocent people are in prison. I know in truth there are many in there for crimes they didn't commit. I love all the songs from Fiddler On The Roof. Loved the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's horrible to think about!
      I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof. It's probably way past time that I do, though.
      Thanks for coming by, Tea! Happy reading! :)

      Delete