Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Review: The Vanishing at Castle Moreau by Jaime Jo Wright

About the Book
A haunting legend. An ominous curse. A search for a secret buried deep within the castle walls.

In 1870, orphaned Daisy François takes a position as housemaid at a Wisconsin castle to escape the horrors of her past life. There she finds a reclusive and eccentric Gothic authoress who hides tales more harrowing than the ones in her novels. As women disappear from the area and the eerie circumstances seem to parallel a local legend, Daisy is thrust into a web that could ultimately steal her sanity, if not her life.

In the present day, Cleo Clemmons is hired by the grandson of an American aristocratic family to help his grandmother face her hoarding in the dilapidated Castle Moreau. But when Cleo uncovers more than just the woman's stash of collectibles, a century-old mystery and the dust of the old castle's curse threaten to rise again . . . this time to leave no one alive to tell the sordid tale.

Award-winning author Jaime Jo Wright seamlessly weaves a dual-time tale of two women who must do all they can to seek the light amid the darkness shrouding Castle Moreau.


MY THOUGHTS

This was another hauntingly good tale from Jaime Jo Wright, one of the masters of Gothic fiction. This story pulled me in right from the very first page. The real world faded away, and I found myself completely enveloped in the chillingly creepy pages. There were some spooky moments. I got goosebumps several times. But one of the things I love most about Wright's books is how she weaves a powerful message of faith and hope into them. Despite the darkness of the world, God's light shines bright!

I was equally invested in both timelines. I've said this before, but I'm usually drawn to one timeline over the other in books like this. Not here, though. I loved how they both connected. It was really interesting seeing all the parallels. And I loved how the Castle seemed to become a character too. I liked both Cleo and Daisy. They were interesting characters with complicated histories. I enjoyed watching their growth. The grandmothers from both timelines were my favorite characters, though. They were both so intriguing. They held many secrets and were more than what first met the eye.

I can't say enough good things about this book. The mystery was superb. And the ending? What a complete surprise! It wasn't what I was expecting, but wow! So powerful and poignant. I might've even shed a tear or two.

I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. I do love a good atmospheric Gothic mystery! And it's nice that you connected with both of the timelines. This one's on my TBR list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Lark! It's a good one! :D

      Delete