Thursday, April 13, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: In Her Sights by Karen Witemeyer

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring In Her Sights by Karen Witemeyer. This was a sweet and cute novella. I really enjoyed it. (We got a new dog a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't had as much time for reading lately. I've gotten a little behind here on my blog, but I think things are starting to get back to normal.)

About the Book
He's sworn off love, but she has his heart in her sights and doesn't intend to miss.

Stained by his wastrel father's legacy, Jackson Spivey lives on the fringes of society. Townsfolk tolerate him since he keeps the local hotel supplied with fresh game, but mothers coach their daughters to avoid him. After tasting consistent rejection, Jackson spurns all attempts at courtship. The only things he can count on are his guns and his God.

Tessa James has been secretly in love with Jackson for ages, but trying to gain his favor only pushes him further away. When she learns Annie Oakley is traveling through Texas, Tessa seeks lessons from the famed markswoman. If Jackson's life revolves around guns, taking up shooting might help her engage his interest. Too bad she can't hit the broad side of a barn.

When Annie loans Tessa a custom pistol, however, things begin to change. The lore behind the mysterious weapon fosters hope that Tessa might finally hit the target of Jackson's heart. But when danger threatens, she might be forced to use the pistol for something other than finding love.

Book Beginning / First Line Friday
Every legacy started from a single act of courage. Holding tight to what little bravery he possessed, Josiah Hartman strode through the trampled fairgrounds of Buffalo Bills western extravaganza the morning after the show's closing night, determined that his daughter's legacy would start today.

Friday 56
He'd acted as if her rudeness hadn't bothered him at all as he turned to show himself out, but Tessa had caught the hint of embarrassment in his cheeks and the slight sag in his shoulders. It broke her heart and fired her indignation.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. Is that woman wearing a gun? I wasn't expecting that. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Shows how observant I am, lol! Hope you have a great week, Anne! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good novella. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this story. I'm in the mood for a historical fiction book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a fun and quick read. So good! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  4. I love her stories! I hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! It was a lot of fun! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  5. That was a really cute story about a pink handled pistol!

    My first line this week is from Blind Trust by Natalie Walters
    “How much longer?” Lyla Fox gritted her teeth at the voice echoing through the tiny earpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that one. Such a great series. Hope you have a great weekend, Paula! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like love to me.... LOL.... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie Oakley's in this one? FUN! Can't wait to check it out. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She makes a couple of appearances, which was so fun to read about! Hope you have a great week, Lark! :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this one! I'm currently reading Shielding the Baby by Laura Scott. The first line is: "Shots fired." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm definitely intrigued for more! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete