Thursday, April 6, 2023

Review: Enhanced by Candace Kade

About the Book
Lee Urban is living a lie.

In a society where everyone's DNA determines their destiny, being a Natural means automatic relegation to the gritty and dangerous Outskirts. With the harnessed power of gene-editing, the ability to create a super-human race has transformed the world and offered the opportunity of a genetically enhanced life. But only to those who can afford it.

Born a Natural, Lee Urban was adopted into the Enhanced high society of the Asian Federation and forced to conceal her genetic roots. When her dream of attending Peking University becomes a reality, she is determined to go despite a warning from a mysterious source.

Targeted by a hacker bent on exposing her true DNA, Urban faces off with an Artificial Intelligence Game that puts her—and her lies—to the test. What was supposed to be a dream come true turns into a lethal gamble of hide-and-seek with her genetics. Can Urban continue the act, or will the cracks in her story expose her and endanger her family?


MY THOUGHTS

What an imaginative and fast-paced debut! I've been in the mood for a sci-fi book for a while, and this was exactly what I was looking for. The world-building was fascinating and so detailed. There's a lot of really interesting and futuristic tech. I started out trying to read this slowly, to take it all in and acclimate myself to this intricately detailed world. I was worried I'd be a little overwhelmed by it all, that it might be confusing, but that wasn't the case at all. It wasn't long before I was zooming through the pages. It came to a point where I got frustrated with myself because I couldn't read it fast enough. There were so many twists and turns and quite a few surprising revelations that had my jaw on the floor. This was not a predictable read by any means. I'm very interested in finding out what happens next. If you're a fan of science fiction, grab a copy of this book. You won't be disappointed.

FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. Love it when a book keeps you guessing and wanting to read faster. :D I just finished a fun sci fi novel called Starflight (review to come next week) that you might like. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll be looking forward to your review. I can't seem to get enough sci-fi lately. :D

      Delete