Thursday, April 20, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: The Study of Poisons by Maria V. Snyder

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring The Study of Poisons by Maria V. Snyder. Poison Study is my favorite book and this is a retold version of the story from Valek's POV. And y'all! It's even better than I thought it'd be! I can't even tell you how happy reading this book has made me. It's awesome!

About the Book
Fierce, determined, dangerous. No wonder her soul called to his.

As Chief of Security of Ixia, Valek has spent the last fifteen years keeping Commander Ambrose and his citizens safe. With his complex network of spies, informers, and soldiers, it’s his job to hunt down and capture criminals, including the intriguing Yelena.

Sensing there is more to the story of why she killed a general’s son, Valek arranges for Yelena to become the Commander’s new food taster, training her in the delicate art of detecting poisons. As mysteries and a devious plot to harm the Commander unravel, Yelena’s presence becomes crucial. Will her intelligence, stubbornness, and survivor instincts be a help to Valek’s investigation, or a hinderance?

A companion novel to Poison Study, The Study of Poisons reveals Valek’s side of the story. Return to the world of Ixia and discover just how the lovely Yelena got Valek’s cold heart pumping!

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
The body hit the floor with a loud thud.

Friday 56
"Trust her or don't trust her, which one is it, Valek?" the commander asked in exasperation.

What have you been reading lately?

14 comments:

  1. This series was pretty popular in my library but I never read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series. It's so fun seeing it retold from Valek's perspective. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone mention Poison Study. I still haven't read it, and I also didn't know that the author wrote a companion novel for it. This one looks interesting too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one just released last week. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I really like that opening. And I'm going to go with "don't trust her." When in doubt, always question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, always question. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I've never read this author but I think I'll have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favorites. I think you'd like her books. Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I just saw this on Bookbub, looks good!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are enjoying it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  7. That's fun that she gives another version of this story. I still need to read Poison Study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nice surprise when the author announced the book. I'm hoping she does this for books 2 and 3 too. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete