Monday, October 17, 2022

Review: The Premonition at Withers Farm by Jaime Jo Wright

About the Book
The voices of the past cannot stay silent forever.

In 1910 Michigan, Perliett Van Hilton is a self-proclaimed rural healer, leaving the local doctor convinced she practices quackery. It doesn't help that her mother is a spiritualist who regularly offers her services to connect the living with their dearly departed. But when Perliett is targeted by a superstitious killer, she must rely on both the local doctor and an intriguing newcomer for assistance.

In the present day, Molly Wasziak's life has not gone the way she dreamed. Facing depression after several miscarriages, Molly is adapting to her husband's purchase of a peculiar old farm. A search for a family tree pulls Molly deep into a century-old murder case and a web of deception, all made more mysterious by the disturbing shadows and sounds inside the farmhouse.

Perliett fights for her life, and Molly seeks renewed purpose for hers as she uncovers the records of the dead. Will their voices be heard, or will time forever silence their truths?


MY THOUGHTS

This was Jaime Jo Wright's creepiest tale yet, and I loved it! I was glued to the pages and reading as fast I could. It's the kind of book I just can't get enough of. It deals with some spooky and dark things, but in the end, shines the light on the goodness and glory of God.

This dual timeline follows Perliett in the past and Molly in the present time. Perliett was a self-taught healer whose dad was a devout Christian, and Mom a devout spiritualist who conducted seances and talked to the dead. You could say she's a bit conflicted because of her parents' differing views on the afterlife. I thought George was a great counterpoint to her mother. He was full of wisdom and Biblical truths. He might've been a bit gruff at times, but I was drawn to him nonetheless.

I felt like I got to know Perliett better and faster than Molly, but that really fit with their personalities. Molly was depressed and going through a lot, so she didn't let anyone close to her. I think that's why, in the beginning, I enjoyed the past timeline more than the present. It wasn't long though before I was equally intrigued and invested by both.

I think I probably say this with every new Jaime Jo Wright book, but this one's my favorite one. It was so engaging, so spooky, and yet so full of God's light. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's definitely going to make my "Best Books of the Year" list.

I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

4 comments:

  1. I could go for a creepy/spooky book right about now! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! This is the perfect book for this time of year! :D

      Delete
  2. I look forward to when I get to read this one! Great review. I need to make time to read at least one creepy Jamie book this month. I have two I need to read for challenges before the end of the year...(and I already have them, just need to read them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy them both! This new one of hers released at the perfect time. Such a creepy good, yet faith-filled story. Can't get much better than that! :)

      Delete