Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Review: Dream of Kings by Sharon Hinck

About the Book
The Future Never Sleeps

In the glacial nation of Norgard, Jolan the Dream Teller serves every seeker, whether peasant or high lord. Though she loves using her gift, she struggles to navigate the corrupt and dangerous court and the jealousies of the Guildagard.

When an old man’s nightmare imparts a dire warning, Jolan realizes her entire nation is in danger. But before she can sound the alarm, she is betrayed by the guilds and sold into slavery in a rival kingdom far to the south. As a slave in a foreign land, at first Jolan can’t see beyond her singular focus: return home to warn Norgard of the coming calamity. After facing new dangers, making new friends, and forgiving old wrongs, she must fulfill the purposes the Provider has set before her.

Only then can she face a decision that could cost her the man she loves, her calling, and her freedom—all to save a people who abandoned her.


MY THOUGHTS

This book left me in awe. Nothing I say will be able to do it justice, but wow, what a beautiful, powerful, poignant, and faith-stirring read! There was never a dull moment. I was fully engaged from the very first word. There was palace intrigue, mystery, danger at every turn, and even some romance.

There was a great cast of characters. So many wonderful and likeable ones, but some pretty loathsome ones too. All of them were three-dimensional and fully fleshed out with a real authenticity about them.

The worldbuilding was impressive. It was so detailed, but never became overwhelming. I wanted to linger in this fantastical world for as long as I could.

This is a story I know I'll want to read again and again. It's a definite contender for 'book of the year' and a must read for fans of Christian fantasy. I highly, highly recommend it!

I received an advanced copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. Is this one part of a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to say that it's a standalone. That seems rare these days, lol, but it was nice for a change. :D

      Delete