Thursday, October 13, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Premonition at Withers Farm by Jaime Jo Wright

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring The Premonition at Withers Farm by Jaime Jo Wright. This is one of my favorite reads of the year. Jaime Jo Wright never fails to impress! 

About the Book
The voices of the past cannot stay silent forever.

In 1910 Michigan, Perliett Van Hilton is a self-proclaimed rural healer, leaving the local doctor convinced she practices quackery. It doesn't help that her mother is a spiritualist who regularly offers her services to connect the living with their dearly departed. But when Perliett is targeted by a superstitious killer, she must rely on both the local doctor and an intriguing newcomer for assistance.

In the present day, Molly Wasziak's life has not gone the way she dreamed. Facing depression after several miscarriages, Molly is adapting to her husband's purchase of a peculiar old farm. A search for a family tree pulls Molly deep into a century-old murder case and a web of deception, all made more mysterious by the disturbing shadows and sounds inside the farmhouse.

Perliett fights for her life, and Molly seeks renewed purpose for hers as she uncovers the records of the dead. Will their voices be heard, or will time forever silence their truths?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
August 1910
When death came to visit, no one ever prepared tea and cookies.

Friday 56
Gladys was a warrior in polyester. She plopped next to Molly at the coffee shop table, dropped her purse on the floor next to her, and pushed her plastic-framed glasses up her nose.

What have you been reading lately?

24 comments:

  1. It's always nice when a book turns out to be a favorite. The Premonition at Withers Farm seems like a good one (and perfect for the season too). Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Breana! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's an attention-grabber! Hope you have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  3. I do like a story that has a dual timeline and if there's something sinister lurking, you have me hooked!

    Will have to take a closer look at this one...

    Have a good weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elza! There were a few times I got goosebumps. Things got a little spooky here and there. Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I am currently reading The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews. I am loving it!
    "Later that morning, after a brief stop at Doctors' Commons, Jasper bounded up the steps of the Wychwood townhouse in Belgrave Square."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting.

    I'm currently reading Good Taste by Caroline Scott, Witch Happens by AM King and I've just started Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. A bit of a mixture!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/14/friday-56-the-ex-hex-by-erin-sterling/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun mixture of books! Enjoy! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  6. Just finished Premonition! What a story!
    My first line this week comes from a breathtaking book The Lost Melody by Joanna Politano.
    One day in late May of the year 1886, I found myself imprisoned in the Hurstwell Pauper Lunatic Asylum. This was unconscionable—- I had never been a pauper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opener! I want more! Thanks for stopping by, Paula! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. LOL @ that first line! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this opening line before and it made me smile both times.

    My quotes this week at HeadFullofBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Anne! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm adding this one to my tbr right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! One of my favorites I've read this year. Happy weekend, Lauren! :)

      Delete
  10. I love her books!! I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I think this might just be my favorite one of hers so far. My review should be up on Monday. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  11. I’m reading this one right now! It’s definitely a little spooky! :) This week I shared the first line from The Secrets of Emberwild by Stephenia H. McGee. http://gracetogrowblog.com/secrets-of-emberwild-stephenia-mcgee/

    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of McGee's books and really enjoyed them. I hope you love Jaime Jo Wright's! It's definitely her spookiest one yet! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  12. I preordered this one and am looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you love it! It's so good! Have a great week, Danielle! :)

      Delete