Thursday, October 27, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Range (The Metcalfes #3) by Ronie Kendig

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Range (The Metcalfes #3) by Ronie Kendig. This has been a really great series so far. Though, it's been a tough read at times. It tackles the topic of human trafficking. While there's never any graphic details, the author doesn't sugarcoat the horrors of what actually goes on. 

About the Book
He's back and he's out for blood

Fed up with living in the shadow of his brothers, Range Metcalfe struck out to carve a name for himself—one written in the blood of many a terrorist. Now, he’s targeting the notorious Madam of Kandahar, who has trafficked children and women. Finally given the green light, he captures her and quickly finds himself entrenched up in a deadly encounter that forces him into the Afghan wilderness—with the madam.

Ten years as a trafficking victim Kasra Jazani has little left of her soul. No longer able to live with herself, she takes matters into her own hands and coordinates an escape, a massive coup against the man who has kept her and so many others captive. They flee into the night—right into the fierce and capable hands of American operators, who ruin everything and put lives at risk. Livid, she knows death is coming for them, because she also holds a very dangerous, very powerful secret: the name of the man at the top of the trafficking ring. Now that monster wants her—and her American protector—dead.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Kandahar Province, Afgahnistan
Most infuriating was the breed of animal whose fierce self-preservation instincts aroused very mercurial behaviors when said instincts were poked.

Friday 56
Danger had a certain smell to it, and tonight, that odor was a lot like the fumes rolling off the blacked-out cargo plane idling at the end of the small airstrip.

What have you been reading lately?

23 comments:

  1. This does seem like a dark story, but I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the series. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Breana! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  2. I recently read this one. Already waiting on the next one in the series :)

    The book I'm featuring on my blog this week is A Promise for Faith by Stacy Simmons. The author is a dear friend of mine who unexpectedly went home to be with the Lord this week and I wanted to honor her by giving her the spotlight this week. I hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the death of your friend. I think that is a nice way to honor her, by reading her books.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I agree with Anne, what a great way to honor her.

      Delete
  3. I don't think this would be a book for me but I am glad you are enjoying it.

    My Friday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Yeah, it's a tough read, at times.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an emotional read.

    Have a good week.

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/10/28/friday-56-the-moose-paradox-by-antti-tuomainen/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very descriptive!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those lines from the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good, right? Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm currently finishing Where the Blue Sky Begins by Katie Powner. It's really good!
    "The survival bag, or whatever she called it, was not in Eunice's bathroom."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good one! Enjoy! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. The lines are very descriptive. I still have not read anything by her...have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my auto-buy authors. I've really enjoyed everything I've read from her. This series has its difficult moments, but it's really good. I love that she's spotlighting such an important issue.

      Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  9. Ooooh, this sounds like one that would be hard to put down - very compelling. Thanks for sharing it.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hard to put down! Hope you have a great weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  10. I am loving this series!! My post this week featured The Premonition at Withers Farm by Jaime Jo Wright. http://gracetogrowblog.com/premonition-at-withers-farm-jaime-jo-wright/

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that book! It's my favorite of Jaime Jo Wright's so far! Hope you have a great week too! :)

      Delete
  11. I've only read the first book in this series and am looking forward to reading the rest! This weekend I've been reading a complimentary early copy of Where Dreams Reside by Heidi Chiavaroli. The first line is: I pressed the gas pedal harder as I passed the quaint sign that welcomed travelers to my hometown of Camden, Maine. ~ Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to start this series. I have the first book, so hopefully soon! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great rest of the weekend too! :)

      Delete