Thursday, August 11, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Season of My Enemy (Heroines of WWII) by Naomi Musch

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Season of My Enemy by Naomi Dawn Musch

About the Book
“Get Your Farm in the Fight” - The Realities of WWII Come to a Wisconsin Farm

Full of intrigue, adventure, and romance, this series celebrates the unsung heroes—the heroines of WWII.

Only last year, Fannie O’Brien was considered a beauty with a brain, and her future shone bright, despite the war pounding Europe. With her father’s sudden death and her brothers overseas, Fannie must now do the work of three men on their 200-acre farm—until eight German prisoners arrive and, just as Fannie feared, trouble comes too. Someone seems intent on causing “accidents,” and Fannie is certain the culprit is one of the two handsome older Germans—or possibly both. Can she manage the farm, keep the prisoners in line, and hold her family together through these turbulent times?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Barron County, Wisconsin
June - July 1944

Fannie O'Brien stepped inside through the back porch screen door. It clattered shut against a sinking sun that cast long, dripping gold rays across the turned black earth in the western field.

Friday 56
Wolf rubbed the knuckles of his right hand as he fought to tamp down his restlessness. They were in the transport heading to the O'Brien farm, and he was glad because he needed to work.

What have you been reading lately?

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mark! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/12/friday-56-circe-by-madeline-miller/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great book by Naomi Musch

    My first line today is from the excellent book by Elizabeth Musser:
    By Way of the Moonlight:
    Atlanta, Georgia Thursday, March 5, 2020
    DINOSAUR BONES FOUND IN BUCKHEAD BACKYARD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great opener! I definitely want to know more! Thanks for sharing, Paula! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  5. I like that this WWII book is set in the states. Makes for a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I got to thinking while I was in the middle of this one that I rarely read WWII books set in the US. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Ashley. You, too! :D

      Delete
  6. I love that his name is Wolf. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great name, right? Happy weekend, Freda! :)

      Delete
  7. That sounds good! Most of the WWI fiction I've read has been more focused in Europe.

    Stop by and see what I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me too. I didn't realize it until I was halfway done with this one, lol. I definitely need to read more set in the states because this one was so good! Hope you have a great weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  8. I do like a different take on WWII fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I enjoyed learning something new about WWII. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm looking forward to reading this one. I shared the first line from Forged in Steele by Susanne Sleeman. https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/08/12/forged-in-steele/
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  10. WWII is my favorite time period for historical fiction, and this one sounds really good! This week I shared the first line from Love and the Dream Come True by Tammy L. Gray. http://gracetogrowblog.com/love-dream-come-true-tammy-l-gray/

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Hope you have a great one too! I can never seem to get enough WWII novels. It's my favorite time period too. :)

      Delete