Thursday, August 25, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Bound by Murder (Beach Bound Books and Beans Mysteries Book 1) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Bound by Murder by Christy Barritt. This is a really fun and quick cozy mystery set in Lantern Beach, one of Barritt's most popular settings. 

About the Book
When widow Talitha Robinson buys an old store on the boardwalk in Lantern Beach, North Carolina, she’s in for a surprise . . . or several. She plans to renovate the space and open Beach Bound Books and Beans, but never expects to find a decades-old skeleton hidden inside one of the walls.

As word of the discovery spreads across the island, strange occurrences begin to occur around her. It soon becomes clear someone still knows something about the dead person—something they don’t want discovered.

Thankfully, former police chief and current mayor Mac MacArthur seems just as eager to unravel the mystery behind the skeletal remains as Tali. But as the two bind together to solve the case, a devastating secret is revealed.

Will their newfound friendship come unglued before they find the answers to the past? Or will their blooming relationship die like the man hidden in the wall?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Talitha Robinson raised the sledgehammer as she stared at the man in front of her. Her muscles bristled as she prepared herself for action.

Friday 56
"In full disclosure, we found human remains inside the wall of one of those stores. It's possible the body's been there about fifteen years."
"You think I killed someone and hid them inside one of the stores?" Some of the friendliness left John's voice.

What have you been reading lately?

25 comments:

  1. This cover is so cute! Here is my Friday post: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/08/book-spotlight-fridays-worthy-of-legend.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover! Hope you have a great weekend, Sarita! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun cozy mystery! Have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  3. LOL, love the cover!! I need to get back to reading her books, I haven't read one in forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so much fun! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Cindy! :)

      Delete
  4. Finding a skeleton in the walls is one of those things I'd never want to experience and yet... books like these make it sound so exciting!! I adore the cover as well, the upper looks in full charge of the crime scene! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! It makes for great reading material but would be absolutely horrifying to happen in real life. Have a lovely weekend, Juli! :)

      Delete
  5. I need a new cozy to read. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “PLEASE JOIN US”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a super fun one! Happy weekend, Laurel-Rain! :)

      Delete
  6. If the book beginning didn't grab me, the cute doggo on the cover would! I think I'd like that one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to resist a cute little doggie on a cover! Have a great weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  7. That dog looks so cute! The story sounds great too!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/26/friday-56-norse-mythology-by-neil-gaiman/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to give that doggie a big ol' hug, LOL! Hope you have a great weekend too, Emily! :)

      Delete
  8. Love the cover and any books that have dogs in it! As long as no dogs were harmed in the making of the book. ;- ) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Freda! Give me all the dogs in books.... as long as they're not harmed! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  9. This one does look like fun! Hope you have a good weekend, Ashley. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark! I hope you have a good one too! :D

      Delete
  10. My first line comes from The Finding of Miss Fairfield by Grace Hitchcock:
    Sophia Fairfield’s heart skipped at the sight if Mother holding a damp handkerchief to her eyes as Father and his business partner Prescott Payne , stood before the floor length windows facing Charleston Harbor with their heads together, soeaking in low somber tones over the crackling of the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued for more! Thanks for sharing, Paula! Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete
  11. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading Eloise and the Grump Next Door by St. Clair and Proctor. It is so much fun!
    "The sun is an evil, evil orb."
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of Emma St. Clair's books! Hope you have a great weekend too, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Right! I can't even imagine! Hope you have a lovely weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  13. Cute cover!

    I'm reading A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer. The first line is: "I'm closing the school, Miss Atherton, and that's my final word on the subject."

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete