Thursday, August 18, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Out of the Night (The Epic Story of RJ and York #1) by Susan May Warren

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Out of the Night (The Epic Story of RJ and York #1) by Susan May Warren. I'm thrilled that this series is releasing so quickly (all three are out this month!) because it'd be awful to have to wait any longer to find out what happens to these characters next. It's nonstop action and constant danger and I'm enjoying it so much!

About the Book
He’s not looking for trouble…

All former spy and current national security agent York Newgate wants is to propose to the woman he loves, RJ Marshall. Then they can move to Shelly, Washington, and start the calm, safe life he’s been dreaming of for over a year.

Too bad trouble doesn’t agree…

Or maybe RJ simply attracts trouble because she’s just going out for coffee when she spots a wanted, known terrorist standing in the middle of a street in Paris. At least she thinks it’s international criminal Alan Martin, the mastermind behind a plot to kill the president.

But he’s in jail, right?

Wrong. Martin has escaped, and it’s up to RJ—and York—to keep him in their sights until he can be apprehended. But chasing down Martin means following him into the darkness of whatever plot he’s cooked up now.

Will he ever outrun trouble to find his happy ending?

So much for York’s epic proposal. Now, he just wants to escape Europe with their lives.


Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
York wasn't a coward. Not even a little. Besides, RJ was going to say yes.

Friday 56
He was either a very dangerous, or very safe, man.
Depended on what side you were on.

What have you been reading lately?

22 comments:

  1. Can't wait to start this series. But waiting for book 3 to release first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I kinda wish I had waited, lol! But at least there's not too much longer to wait. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. Love that 56. Sounds like a great character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect description for that character. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. My first line is from Deception by Patricia Bradley:
    Today was not a good day to die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great opener! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good book. I like the cover too!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/19/friday-56-the-christie-affair-by-nina-de-gramont/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! Hope you have a great one too! :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you are enjoying the series :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  6. I am in the mood for a mystery, though I confess to not reading this genre often so I have a hard time judging them correctly. I think it is wise to wait until the third book is published so you can zoom through all at once if you like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda wish I had waited, but thankfully the third book comes out this Tuesday, so I just have a few days to wonder about these characters. Hope you have a great weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, Susan May Warren! I love her books! These are on my list.

    Come see my Friday bookish fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favorites! Hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it. Have a great weekend, Lisa! :)

      Delete
  8. That's cool that all three books in this series are releasing so quickly; waiting for the next book to come out can be such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. Having to wait awhile for the sequels would be just awful. These cliffhangers are ROUGH! Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  9. Happy Friday!
    I'm just beginning Harvest Moon by Denise Hunter.
    "It was not the sort of day when bad things happened. Eighty degrees. September breeze. Sky expanding, wide and blue, above a canopy of trees. Air thick with the fresh smell of pine and the loamy scent of earth. It was a perfect Saturday."
    That does sound like a perfect day! I hope you have an excellent weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really does sound like the perfect day! Thanks for sharing, Nicole! Hope you have an excellent weekend too! :)

      Delete
  10. I bet this is a good one. Warren writes fantastic stories!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to reading this series!
    I'm currently reading A Refuge of Convenience by Kathy Geary Anderson and the first line is: Jonas was dead.
    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first line definitely has me intrigued for more! Thanks for sharing, Danielle! Have a great rest of the weekend! :)

      Delete