Thursday, February 4, 2021

Review: Apprentice (Collective Underground #1) by Kristen Young

About the Book
The Love Collective is everywhere. It sees everything. Be not afraid.

Apprentice Flick remembers everything, except the first five years of her life. And for as long as she can remember, Flick has wanted to enter the Elite Academy - home to the best, brightest, and most loyal members of the Love Collective government.

Flick's uncanny memory might get her there, too … even if it is the very thing that marks her as a freak. But frightening hallucinations start intruding into her days and threaten to bring down all she has worked so hard to accomplish. Why is she being hijacked by a stranger's nightmare over and over again?

Moving to the Elite Academy could give Flick the future she's always wanted. But her search for truth may lead to a danger she cannot escape.


My Thoughts

It's been way too long since I've read a dystopia like this one. Apprentice was fantastic. I loved every minute of it. Okay, that probably sounds weird to say about a dystopia, lol, but it was so incredibly compelling, so thought-provoking, so intriguing, so unnerving. I had an incredibly hard time putting it down and when I did have to set it aside to do other things, it was constantly on my mind.

Kerr was a great character. Easy to like and with a memory that was seriously impressive. She was such a determined and focused girl. I was definitely rooting for her. There were a lot of secondary characters too. Some good, some horrible, and others with a mysterious agenda that I didn't know what to think about. All in all, a well-rounded cast of characters that I enjoyed reading about.

Apprentice reminded me of some of my favorite dystopias, (Hunger Games, Matched, Divergent, etc.) but it was still very unique in its own right. If you're a fan of this genre, I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book.

4.5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. So glad this one ended up being such a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark! It was a really great, thought-provoking read. Now, I've just gotta wait for the next one. :)

      Delete