Thursday, February 18, 2021

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Cast the First Stone (The True Lies of Rembrandt Stone #1) by David James Warren

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

Wow, we've had quite the week here in Texas. Our power went out Monday at 2am and was out for over 35 hours. Most of that time, the temperature outside was in the single digits. I didn't know it could get as cold as it did in the house. My goodness, it was horrible! We were so thankful when power came back and we could start warming up. We didn't have water for 3 and a half days which created nightmares of it's own. 

We're not used to weather like this around here. We'll maybe get one good snowfall every winter and rarely have multiple days in a row below freezing. It's been over a week of freezing temps and I have never been more ready for warmer weather. My favorite season has always been winter, but this storm might've just changed that. The weather's supposed to start warming up today and I'm praying the forecast is right. It's been crazy and I'm ready for a little bit of normalcy.

But anyway, back to books! This week I'm featuring a time travel crime thriller, Cast the First Stone (The True Lies of Rembrandt Stone #1) by David James Warren. It's a collaboration between three authors, James Rubart, Susan May Warren, and Susan's son David Curtis Warren. It's SO good! 

About the Book
One case haunts him. One chance to fix the past. One mistake could cost him everything.

Ex-Minneapolis Police Detective Rembrandt Stone walked away from a career he loved—just the price of being sure he can come home to the wife and daughter he cherishes. But he can’t shake the deep regret over a case left behind.

When his mentor, the former Chief of Homicide dies and leaves Rembrandt with a box of cold cases and a mysterious watch, he finds himself thrust into a world he recognizes—a world from twenty years ago—the same world he’s woken from in a cold sweat a hundred times. But is it a dream, or some kind of twisted reality?

If he solves the case that plagues him, and justice is finally served, will it destroy the life he loves?

Strap in for a mind-bending, time travel thrill ride in Book One of this riveting new series, The True Lies of Rembrandt Stone.

Book Beginnings
It's the regrets that keep me awake.

Friday 56
I'm without words, caught in the catastrophe, one thought like a fist in my still hammering head. I could have stopped this. 

What have you been reading lately?

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely. It's interesting learning what those regrets of Rem's are.

      Delete
  2. This was a good one! https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/02/book-spotlight-fridays-obsession-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the terrible storm! I will send you warm vibes and hugs. It's nice and hot here in SA and the sea is a turquoise blue in front of me. Might go for a walk later this afternoon.

    At least you have a good read to keep you company!

    Have a good weekend and take care.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sounds like the perfect weather. Wish I was there right now. :D

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize you were in Texas! Phew, that sounds like a harrowing time. So glad to hear that you're okay. I think a lot of people share the "ready for summer" sentiment. I for sure do! I hope warm weather finds you soon!

    I really like that 56 quote. Sounds like an exciting book! Happy reading!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The temp got above freezing yesterday and melted most of the snow. I've never been so happy to say goodbye to snow, lol. :)

      Delete
  5. Great excerpts! So glad your power is back. Stay safe and warm and here's mine: “THE PARIS LIBRARY”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurel-Rain! After multiple days with the highs in the teens, I didn't realize 40 degrees could feel so warm, lol. :)

      Delete
  6. My sister-in-law is in Houston. They have power but have to boil the water they drink. My niece in Austin has no power or water still. Glad you are safe!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I hope things improve for your family quick. This has been such a nightmare situation. Happy weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  7. I am so glad you have power again, Ashley. Hopefully the water situation is good too. I've been worried about you and all my friend and family in Texas who have been impacted by the storms and severe cold front. I can't even imagine.

    Cast the First Stone sounds like a great read. I can relate to the opening line. I hope you are enjoying it. Have a great weekend, Ashley. Stay safe and warm. I'm praying for warmer weather for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We were so not prepared for this kind of cold. I feel so bad for everyone who's still dealing with no electricity and having water issues. It's scary that everything that has gone wrong went wrong. Never thought it could happen. Hopefully we'll be better prepared if this happens again.

      Delete
  8. You never realize how dependent we are on electricity until the power goes out. And it's the worst when it happens in the winter. I'm glad your power is back on. I hope it stays that way. Did you have any pipes burst? We had a snowstorm this past Wednesday that left over a foot of snow on the roads; it was a pain to shovel but luckily we didn't have any power outtages. Here's to warmer weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! A foot of snow! I'm glad you're power didn't go out. Winter outages are the worst. I think our pipes are okay. Everything seems to be working okay and our water pressure is back to normal. I'm so thankful things weren't worse. I know people who still have no water. I think this event has shown us all here in Texas how unprepared we were for this kind of weather.

      Delete
  9. Punchy opening! Here is my Book Beginnings: https://francebooktours.com/2021/02/26/lorigine-book-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete