Thursday, October 25, 2018

Review: Emerald Illusion by J. Rodes

About the Book
Abrielle used to dream of a different life. Adventure. Romance. Hope.
Not of Kansas.

Now, after the loss of her mother and a move she didn’t want to make, she’s lost the will to dream anymore, let alone believe in her father’s Somedays.

But a swirling wind, a wall of leaves, and a blinding darkness literally transform her world.

She and both of her brothers, Brogan and Matteaus, are swept from Kansas to someplace beyond—to a desert in which everything is watery-brown, including the sky and the light of the weak sun. Abrielle finds herself in the middle of a realm everyone had heard of but no one believed existed. Except this version is rundown and broken, void of color and hope. Not much different from her view of life in Kansas.

When she gathers her bearings, she discovers her youngest brother is missing, lost in a land that is foreign and dying. Finding Matteaus becomes her sole focus, but when she and Brogan meet a boy named Levi, who only adds more mystery to this world that shouldn’t exist, she finds out this kingdom is much more perilous than the children’s book ever told.
Matteaus is in great danger.

There is nothing safe about Oz.


My Thoughts

Oh my goodness! This book left me speechless! It's so amazing! I'm sitting here struggling to find the words to describe the absolute beauty that is this novel. It was unbelievably poignant. The message was so soul-stirring and will linger with me for a long time to come. It's something that I didn't know I needed at the time and I'll definitely treasure it.

I felt so connected to Abrielle right from the beginning. Her emotions became my emotions. She was likable and relatable and so very real. And the setting! I loved that this story took place in Oz, although a very different Oz than what we're familiar with. It was the perfect setting for this journey.

Once I reached the end, I wanted to immediately read it all again. It moved me and spoke to me like no other book has done in a long time. It's a book that everyone should read and I'll definitely be recommending it to everyone I know.

I received a copy of this book from the author and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

Five Stars

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. Definitely one of the best I've read this year. Thanks for coming by, Lark! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, nice! I like the sound of this being a diferent version of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really unique take on Oz which was so awesome. Thanks for visiting, Greg! :)

      Delete