Monday, January 15, 2018

Review: A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England #2) by Roseanna M. White


About the Book

Willa Forsythe is both a violin prodigy and top-notch thief, which makes her the perfect choice for a crucial task at the outset of World War I--to steal a cypher from a famous violinist currently in Wales.

Lukas De Wilde has enjoyed the life of fame he's won--until now, when being recognized nearly gets him killed. Everyone wants the key to his father's work as a cryptologist. And Lukas fears that his mother and sister, who have vanished in the wake of the German invasion of Belgium, will pay the price. The only light he finds is meeting the intriguing Willa Forsythe.

But danger presses in from every side, and Willa knows what Lukas doesn't--that she must betray him and find that cypher, or her own family will pay the price as surely as his has.


My Review

Five Stars

When the mysterious Mr. V shows up with an important mission for Willa, to steal a cypher from a world-renowned violinist, she agrees. Lukas De Wilde, famous violinist, is in Wales as part of a touring orchestra full of Belgian refugees. He's hoping to earn enough money to head back to Belgium to search for his mother and sister who are missing. Little do they know how much their meeting will change both of their lives.

I've been really excited for A Song Unheard after reading and loving the first book in this series, A Name Unknown. It did not disappoint! And while I didn't think it was possible, I liked this book even better than the first. I loved getting reacquainted with many of the characters and meeting some new ones too! Willa's a very strong and determined woman who's quite the brilliant musician, as well. And Lukas! I instantly liked him and really felt for his situation. I absolutely loved it when Lukas and Willa shared the page. They had such great chemistry and their back and forth banter was so entertaining.

There was mystery, intrigue, and suspense that kept building to the end when I couldn't read it fast enough. I love cryptography and so I found that element of the story to be very interesting. Regretfully, I don't remember learning a whole lot about World War I in school and so I had no idea of many of the horrors that occurred in Belgium. This book is filled with so much interesting and, sometimes, heart-wrenching facts of history. I feel like I learned so much by reading this book.

A Song Unheard did take me a bit longer to read, but that in no way means I didn't like it. On the contrary, I absolutely adored it! It was lovely and a book that I savored, enjoying my trip back in time. I seriously can't recommend this book highly enough! Start with the first book and then dive right into this one!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

To connect with author Roseanna M. White, visit her on her website, Facebook, and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment