Thursday, July 11, 2024

Review: Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett

About the Book
A curmudgeonly professor journeys to a small town in the far north to study faerie folklore and discovers dark fae magic, friendship, and love in the start of a heartwarming and enchanting new fantasy series.

Cambridge professor Emily Wilde is good at many things: She is the foremost expert on the study of faeries. She is a genius scholar and a meticulous researcher who is writing the world's first encyclopaedia of faerie lore. But Emily Wilde is not good at people. She could never make small talk at a party--or even get invited to one. And she prefers the company of her books, her dog, and the Fair Folk.

So when she arrives in the hardscrabble village of Hrafnsvik, Emily has no intention of befriending the gruff townsfolk. Nor does she care to spend time with another new arrival: her dashing and insufferably handsome academic rival Wendell Bambleby, who manages to charm the townsfolk, get in the middle of Emily's research, and utterly confound and frustrate her.

But as Emily gets closer and closer to uncovering the secrets of the Hidden Ones--the most elusive of all faeries--lurking in the shadowy forest outside the town, she also finds herself on the trail of another mystery: Who is Wendell Bambleby, and what does he really want? To find the answer, she'll have to unlock the greatest mystery of all--her own heart.


MY THOUGHTS

I’ve been wanting to read this book for awhile now, and am so happy I finally got the chance. I’ve heard amazing things about it, and it definitely lived up to the hype. I loved it! What an enchantingly whimsical tale full of wonder! It’s one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Emily was likable, endearing, and quirky. I was very intrigued by Bambleby. He was an interesting guy. You could tell that he had secrets, and I was very eager to find out what they were. I’ll just say that I was very surprised by them! Emily and Bambleby were quite the pair. Their banter was hilarious and quite possibly my favorite part of the book. They had such great chemistry, and I was rooting so hard for them.

The closer I got to the end, the slower I read it. Not because I didn’t enjoy it, but because I was enjoying it so much that I didn’t want it to end. I wanted to stay in this world with these characters for a little while longer. This story is going on my “favorites” shelf. I know I’m gonna want to read it again and again. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fantasy.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. This has become a favorite of mine, too. I loved her 'dog'. And her relationship with Bambleby was so fun. The second book is also really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear the next one is good too. I need to get on the waitlist at my library for it. Her 'dog' is awesome! :D

      Delete