Thursday, July 11, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: When the Day Comes (Timeless #1) by Gabrielle Meyer

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over in the meantime.

This week I'm featuring When the Day Comes (Timeless #1) by Gabrielle Meyer. I've read a lot of really good books this year, but this one might just top the list. I loved it so much! 

About the Book
How will she choose, knowing all she must sacrifice?

Libby has been given a powerful gift: to live one life in 1774 Colonial Williamsburg and the other in 1914 Gilded Age New York City. When she falls asleep in one life, she wakes up in the other. While she's the same person at her core in both times, she's leading two vastly different lives.

In Colonial Williamsburg, Libby is a public printer for the House of Burgesses and the Royal Governor, trying to provide for her family and support the Patriot cause. The man she loves, Henry Montgomery, has his own secrets. As the revolution draws near, both their lives--and any hope of love--are put in jeopardy.

Libby's life in 1914 New York is filled with wealth, drawing room conversations, and bachelors. But the only work she cares about--women's suffrage--is discouraged, and her mother is intent on marrying her off to an English marquess. The growing talk of war in Europe only complicates matters.

But Libby knows she's not destined to live two lives forever. On her twenty-first birthday, she must choose one path and forfeit the other--but how can she choose when she has so much to lose in each life?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Williamsburg, Virginia
May 5, 1774
For as long as I could remember, my mama had told me that my life was a gift. But at the age of nineteen, I had yet to see how this life I was living - or rather, the lives I was living - could be anything other than a burden.

Friday 56
Our enemy was in our very own backyard, and there was nothing we could do. It would make all of our future work more difficult and dangerous.

What have you been reading lately?

8 comments:

  1. That opening grabbed my attention. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting plot idea. I wonder who it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took some very surprising turns! Hope you have a great week, Anne! :)

      Delete
  3. When the Day Comes does sound good! I liked the quotes you shared and that beginning has me wanting to know more right away. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Ashley. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It blew all my expectations away. It was so good! Hope you have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete
  4. That does sound good! I wonder how she will choose!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/07/12/first-line-friday-before-the-coffee-gets-cold-by-toshikazu-kawaguchi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be such a hard decision to make, wouldn't it? Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete