Thursday, December 21, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: The Looking-Glass Illusion (The Curious Realities #2) by Sara Ella

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over until Freda returns.

This week I'm featuring The Looking-Glass Illusion by Sara Ella. It's the conclusion to the Curious Realities duology and, oh my goodness! It's so good! It has to be the best Alice in Wonderland retelling I've read. 

About the Book
Step through the looking glass. Slay the Jabberwock. Seek the King.

Alice is not prepared to face what awaits beyond the Tulgey Wood. When she and the rest of Team Heart enter the fourth and final Wonderland Trial, it’s up to her to lead them to victory. But this Trial is more than a game. If Alice and the others fail to defeat the Jabberwock and reveal the truth about Wonderland, more than points and fame will be lost.

Chess Shire never believed he’d make it this far. Now he’s stuck navigating a Trial he’s seen but doesn’t remember, all while searching for the brother he left behind. Not everything is as black and white as the game that shares his name. And if Alice discovers his deepest regret? Chess might just lose her too.

Apart, Chess and Alice scour the eight squares of the Heart Trial in search of memories, truth, and an Ivory King who seems more illusion than reality. Will they learn to lead together to face their greatest fears? Or will they remain pawns in a queen’s game, never truly seeing the Wonderland they’ve come to believe in?

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Deep breath. She's all right.
We're all right.
As long as we stay together, everything will be all right.

Friday 56
I suddenly wish we could make this a lengthier goodbye. That we could spend hours and days and weeks filling in every blank and eliminating every question mark. But we have to keep moving forwards on the board. We did come to finish, after all.
And all of Wonderland - even if they don't know it yet - is counting on us to reveal the truth.

What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a very rewarding retelling of the Alice in Wonderland stories. Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I've never read Alice in Wonderland or any retellings of it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. It's really good! Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  3. My library finally has the first book in this duology, which I'm looking forward to reading next year. (Because you know I love a fun wonderland retelling!) Enjoy your weekend, Ashley. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, too! :D

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I am currently reading Spies Don't Fall for Their Asset by Meg Easton. It's a super cute story!
    "As fun as Addi is, and as great of a distraction as she is, I'm sad that I'm not in a car with Jace right now. Especially because I've been hoping for more time with him so I can figure out if things between us are okay."
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of relaxing reading time! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, this sounds good! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  5. This has sucked me right in! I gotta read it now. I love a good retelling.

    Happy weekend, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete