Thursday, December 7, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: The Dead of Night (True Crime Junkies #4) by Christy Barritt

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over until Freda returns.

This week I'm featuring The Dead of Night (True Crime Junkies #4) by Christy Barritt. This series is quickly becoming my favorite from this author!

About the Book
A woman disappears in the dead of night as a haunting crime from the past comes to life again.

When a mysterious email leads true crime podcaster Mariella Boucher to southeast Alaska on a quest for the truth about her past, she never expects to plunge headfirst into danger. But when a stranger with a troubled history saves her life, she’s drawn into a five-year-old cold case that leaves her chilled to the bone.

Jason Somersby has been living in the shadow of suspicion ever since his girlfriend was murdered five years ago. When another woman disappears under similar circumstances, everyone in town looks at him with accusation—and to demand answers he doesn’t have.

Mariella brings in the other members of the Arctic Circle Murder Club to help find the killer and clear Jason’s name. But the more the team digs, the shakier the ground becomes. When it becomes clear one of their own is the next target, they must scramble to stop the killer before he claims another victim.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
Zoe Hamlin unzipped the tent, stepped into the nighttime, and took a moment to breathe in the fresh air around her.
Alaska. Was there any purer, more beautiful place on earth?

Friday 56
She didn't know much about camping. In fact, really she'd only gone glamping before - nothing rugged for her.

What have you been reading lately?

14 comments:

  1. The Dead of Night looks interesting. The synopsis kinds of reminds me of the Aurora Teagarden series, because of the club.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's cool! I need to read the Aurora Teagarden series. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a book I'd really like. Are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! This series is quickly becoming my favorite from Christy Barritt. Hope you have a great weekend, Anne! :)

      Delete
  3. Oooooh Alaska, what a wonderful setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I hope you have a great weekend, Stephanie! :)

      Delete
  4. I can't resist a good mystery, and this juxtaposition between the peaceful Alaska beginning and what's to come has me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This featured such a great mystery. And even though it's book four, it's a good place to jump into the series. :)

      Delete
  5. So many people love suspenseful stories like this...thank you for sharing this book that I'm sure many will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have read SO many of her books! I am not sure I will ever catch up, LOL. Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'll ever catch up on her books. She amazes me that she can write so fast! Hope you have a wonderful weekend too! :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds like another very fun one. Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete