Thursday, September 14, 2023

Review: Someone They Can Trust by Colleen Scheid

About the Book
Three devoted staff of a thriving, creative church are derailed when a corrupt leader breaks their trust

When art school graduate Maya Devin moves to Pleasant Hill, she’s warmly welcomed into its thriving, diverse church. Music minister, Matt Schuller, who is more than a little attracted by Maya’s faith, talent, and beauty, invites her to be a part of his creative arts ministry. Janice Williams, also on staff, befriends Maya too, supporting her as she learns to be a caregiver to her grandmother with Alzheimer’s. Janice is healing from a wrenching divorce and draws strength from the welcoming community.
The church is a haven for all three until a new pastor puts their faith, hope, and love to a severe test. Not only is their happiness at stake – so is the survival of the church.

Their courage to stand against evil will hinge on one thing – how willing are they to deal with their own brokenness?


MY THOUGHTS

What a faith-stirring read! This story really came to life. I felt like I was getting a glimpse into the lives of real people who were dealing with real situations. There was an honesty and authenticity that shone through the pages.

I liked the fact that this story followed the lives of three different characters - Maya, Matt, and Janice. I instantly cared for them. They were likable, and I loved that there was something about all of them that I could relate to.

I loved that this story had a very strong Christian message but wasn't judgmental or heavy-handed in its delivery. And while this wasn't an action-packed book, I couldn't put it down and was reading as fast as I could. I was so invested in these characters' lives. I really enjoyed this story and highly recommend it.

I received a copy of this book via BookSirens and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

4.5 STARS

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this one turned out to be so good and had such likable characters in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark! I really came to love these characters. :)

      Delete