Thursday, September 14, 2023

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: All’s Fair in Love and Christmas by Sarah Monzon

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring All’s Fair in Love and Christmas by Sarah Monzon. It's never too early for a Christmas story, right?

About the Book
Two workplace rivals. One festive competition. And a romance that upends it all.

Every December two things are guaranteed for graphic designer Mackenzie Graham--Christmas celebrations and the annual promotion at her workplace. Those two things are by no means mutually exclusive. In fact, the better an employee is at harnessing the Christmas spirit, the more likely they'll win the new job. With her social anxiety, Mackenzie never thought she'd be a contender in her company's holiday competition, so how exactly has she found herself dueling her workplace crush with wrapping paper tubes and using tinsel as her weapon of choice for a much-needed raise?

Jeremy Fletcher's life is meticulously planned out, including how to win this year's promotion at work. Not only will the new position fulfill some of his career goals, but as a single guardian to his twin niece and nephew, he needs the salary increase to support his family. Jeremy has barely noticed Mackenzie Graham around the office, but now that she's his rival, he can't stop thinking about her. Her quirkiness intrigues him, and he's afraid that if he can't get his head on straight, the promotion isn't the only thing he'll end up losing to Mackenzie.

Book Beginning / First Line Friday
My boss is so generous. She gave me three whole days to look forward to our meeting this morning. Isn't that just the sweetest, most considerate employer of all time? In my anticipation, I've spent the last seventy-two hours having no less than a dozen one-on-ones with her in my mind. After all, she never said what the meeting was in regard to, only that she wanted to talk to me about something important on Friday morning.

Friday 56
I'm stuck smack in the middle of a food court flash mob. My throat goes dry. I know I'm physically safe, but I feel as if I'm being circled by sharks. Like I'm in the center of a tornado swirling all around me. A sharknado.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. I've got teasers from a Christmas themed book this week, too. But this is me, so it's a mystery.

    That opening? Brutal! I can completely sympathize, too. I'd be freaking out if that were me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be freaking out too! All the different worst-case scenarios I could come up with during that time! Hope you have a great weekend, Mark! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's so good! One of the best books I've read this year. Hope you have a great weekend, Barb! :)

      Delete
  3. I just finished In Memoriam by Alice Winn. I'm not ready for Christmas reads just yet, but I do have a few titles already on my TBR for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Ethan! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the sarcasm in that opening. LOL This sounds like a funny holiday book. Perfect for the upcoming season. I hope you have a great weekend, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many hilarious moments. I was laughing throughout the whole book. Hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  5. LOL, love the first lines. This one is on my TBR, can't wait to get to it. I hope you enjoy it and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it. It's one of the best books I've read this year. Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I've got a holiday romance list started and am putting this one on it. It does sound cute. Have a great weekend, Ashley. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, Lark! So funny and yet it has a lot of depth too. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. I’m currently reading The Love Script by Toni Shiloh. It’s really cute!
    “The wind whipped through the car’s sunroof, the sound competing with a serenade by H.E.R. on the R&B station as I drove down Coldwater Canyon.”
    I hope you have a great weekend! πŸ˜€❤️πŸ“š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so eager to read this one! Love Toni Shiloh's books. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete