Thursday, September 7, 2023

Review: Escaping Illusions by Therese Heckenkamp

About the Book
All she wants is a new beginning, but it will come at a chilling cost.

Brook Morton doesn’t believe in happily ever after. Not after what she’s been through. Determined to protect her daughter and start a new life, she seeks refuge in the dead of winter in the small town of Vanishing Lakes.

But not everything is as it seems . . .

When a blizzard hits and Brook encounters an old friend’s brother, charismatic stage magician Max, at an isolated lake house, it complicates everything. Although she shared a special connection with him years ago, she can’t let that cloud her judgment. A man famous for deception is the last person she should trust. Especially with her heart.

When danger lurks where it’s least expected, no place—and no one—is safe.

Don't miss this riveting clean romantic suspense mystery by an award-winning author!

Escaping Illusions is the third book in the Frozen Footprints series but can be enjoyed as a standalone novel.


MY THOUGHTS

What a compelling story! I was hooked from the first paragraph and on the edge of my seat. This was a high-stakes, tension-filled suspense novel that I couldn't put down. The mystery kept me guessing and reading as fast as I could while trying to figure out who the killer was.
 
My heart broke for the situation Brook and her daughter Ella were in. I was fully in their corner and rooting them on as they escaped that nightmare. I admired Brook's determination, strength, and resiliency. And I thought Ella was an adorable but realistically portrayed child.
 
Max didn't make the best first impression, but it didn't take long before my opinion changed, and I ended up really liking him. He brought a nice bit of humor and steadiness to a situation that really needed it. And I thought his job as a stage magician was really cool.
 
Even though I hadn't read the first two books, I didn't have any trouble following along. This book stands alone perfectly. I highly recommend it to fans of clean romantic suspense.
 
I received an advanced copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FIVE STARS

2 comments:

  1. An isolated lake house, a blizzard, a stage magician, romance and suspense? I'm in! :D This sounds so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! It's only the second book I've read by this author, but I'm eager to read more. :D

      Delete