Monday, October 19, 2020

Review: Ahab by E.B. Dawson


About the Book
After a devastating interstellar war against the machines known as Mechanized Intelligence Cruisers, the Commonwealth is ready to return to normal life.

Captain Ahab is not.

Tired of being paraded around the capital as a war hero, Ahab finally secures a commission to hunt down the last remaining MICs in the outer planets.

He gets more than he bargained for with Moby Dick.

Ahab’s first encounter with the massive white MIC leaves Ahab without a ship and without a leg. Plagued by fever during his recuperation, Ahab becomes convinced that Moby Dick is a threat to the Commonwealth's newfound peace. But his willingness to do whatever it takes to destroy the MIC leads his best friend and first mate Starbuck to wonder if their captain is in his right mind.


My Thoughts

Ahab was a really great read. It was my first time reading anything by E.B. Dawson and it definitely won't be the last. It's a retelling of Moby Dick set in space. I've never actually read Moby Dick, but that didn't hinder my enjoyment one bit.

The world building was rich with detail. The characters jumped off the page and had such a vibrancy and depth about them. My favorite aspect of the book was the friendship between Ahab and Starbuck. It was such an integral part of the story and was really well done.

If you're a fan of sci-fi, I highly recommend checking out Ahab.

Four Stars

6 comments:

  1. I did read Moby Dick, but I hope this one isn't as long! It does sound like fun, and I'm certainly interested as science fiction is a favorite genre. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quick read. I think I finished it in a couple days. :)

      Delete
  2. Moby Dick in space! That's awesome. I might actually make it through this one. :)

    ReplyDelete