Thursday, October 29, 2020

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: The Storyteller's Daughter by Victoria McCombs

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring a fun Rumpelstiltskin retelling, The Storyteller's Daughter by Victoria McCombs.

About the Book
His shadowed face lit by flames,
Rumpelstiltskin is my name...

For as long as anyone can remember, every child in Westfallen has been born with a Gift, and these Gifts defined them.

Then Cosette is born, Giftless.

An attempt to hide her misfortune brings her before the King, who entraps her to use her Gift as a pawn in his war.

Caught in a lie, Cosette desperately searches for a power strong enough to free her. Intrigued by whispers of an old king and a dark curse, she calls upon Rumpelstiltskin and finds him trapped in a magic deeper than she bargained for. Now, Cosette must fight to reclaim her freedom from the King and break Rumpel’s curse. When time runs out, she’ll lose more than her heart. She’ll lose her life.

THE STORYTELLER’S DAUGHTER is a Rumpelstiltskin retelling that will satisfy fans of Gail Carson Levine’s ELLA ENCHANTED, as well as Jessica Day George’s DRAGON SLIPPERS and PRINCESS OF GLASS, and Cameron Dokey’s THE WORLD ABOVE.

Book Beginnings
If I could choose my Gift, I'd want it to be practical like making bread or shoes to provide for my family.

Friday 56
I spent most of the night in my family's company as I helped out at the tavern. It was strange, how much I used to despise working there and how much comfort I found in it that night. It was nice to feel something normal again.

What have you been reading lately?

16 comments:

  1. Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first line. And you know I love a good fairytale retell. Am definitely adding this one to my TBR list. I'm going to have to see if my library will buy a copy of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your library gets it. It's a lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by, Lark! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this choice! Definitely adding this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not enough Rumpelstiltskin retellings, so I loved that about this one. Thanks for visiting! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. I love both of those snippets!! Sounds like the makings of a great read! Happy Halloween weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Happy Halloween weekend to you too! :)

      Delete
  5. I like the comps listed in the blurb. We all would like to feel normal again, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so ready for normal again. Thanks for coming by, Roberta! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  6. Fairy tale retellings are a favorite, and the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the cover that caught my eye first and then when I saw it was a Rumpel retelling, I knew I had to get it. Thanks for visiting! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  7. A Rumpelstiltskin re-telling! How fun! This sounds really good. I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun retelling. Hope you have an awesome week! :)

      Delete