Thursday, August 20, 2020

Review: Dust (Heirs of Neverland #1) by Kara Swanson

About the Book
The truth about Neverland is far more dangerous than a fairy tale.

Claire Kenton believes the world is too dark for magic to be real—since her twin brother was stolen away as a child. Now Claire’s desperate search points to London... and a boy who shouldn't exist.

Peter Pan is having a beastly time getting back to Neverland. Grounded in London and hunted by his own Lost Boys, Peter searches for the last hope of restoring his crumbling island: a lass with magic in her veins.

The girl who fears her own destiny is on a collision course with the boy who never wanted to grow up. The truth behind this fairy tale is about to unravel everything Claire thought she knew about Peter Pan—and herself.


My Thoughts

You were created for more than to bear the weight of your shadows - but you have to choose to no longer let them define you. You have to choose to let the light shine through the shattered pieces.

Oh my! What a wonderfully enchanting tale! I was never a huge fan of Peter Pan, but this book made me one. It's such an exciting and captivating journey.

The characters were awesome. So complex and layered. Narration switched between Claire and Peter, but I never got confused by who's POV I was reading. They were both very distinct and fascinating in their own way. When there's more than one POV, I usually have one I gravitate to more, but that wasn't the case here. They were both so great. There's no way I could pick a favorite.

I fully expected not to like Peter. And I didn't to begin with. But as the story progressed, he really grew on me. Yes, he's still that same mischievous, arrogant, selfish boy we all know, but his character growth from the beginning of the story to the end was huge. I couldn't help but like him in the end. I really appreciated the little glimpses of his backstory too. It really helped me understand him better.

I had a blast reading Dust and highly recommend it to anyone who has ever loved fairy tales. It was a great twist on a classic. I'm super anxious for the sequel!

4.5 Stars

6 comments:

  1. I checked this one out of the library yesterday and am very excited to read it. Probably won't get to it next week, but I've already dipped into the first few pages and feel hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way after I read an excerpt. I had another book I needed to finish, but I was so eager to start Dust. I hope you love it! :)

      Delete
  2. I love fairy tales and modern versions of classics! Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get enough fairytales. They're so much fun! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks like a really intriguing take on PEter Pan!

    ReplyDelete