Monday, August 31, 2020

Review: Chemicals and Christians: Compassion and Caution by Martha McLaughlin

About the Book
How many chemicals have you put in, on, or around your body today? How many have been used in your home, church, school, or workplace? Do you know how they’re affecting you? Do you know their potential impact on others?

Commonly used products may be harming you in surprising ways and keeping a large and growing number of people out of church. Seemingly small decisions about the use of consumer goods can profoundly influence physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Efforts to create a positive environment within a home or organization are incomplete without focusing on air quality, which affects everything that happens inside a building and to the people who enter it.

Chemicals and Christians will help you understand the risks of everyday toxins, learn how to protect yourself, and determine how to make public and private spaces more accessible and healthy for all. The message in two words is this: Take care. Take care not to let everyday chemicals harm you and take care of those who’ve already developed Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) or another illness associated with toxic exposure. Packed with information, biblical counsel, and personal testimony, the book offers both practical and spiritual help.


My Thoughts

I don't read much nonfiction but I couldn't pass this one up. I struggle with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and I found this book to be a great resource. It has a wealth of helpful information on the condition. Some things I knew already, but there was a lot that I didn't. I took pages and pages of notes.

I really appreciated the sections throughout the book of people talking about all of their different experiences with MCS. It was nice to know that I wasn't alone in my experiences, to have another source of validation, and to know there are other people dealing with the same things I am. For instance, I thought I was really weird because of my reaction to printed ink. My hands break out in hives and I have difficulty breathing. Whenever I've mentioned my issues with physical books and reading material, I'm usually looked at like I'm crazy. But there were multiple mentions of other people having similar issues with it.

I think this would be a great book for people who don't know much, or anything, about MCS too. I can't even tell you how many people, friends and family included, who have minimized the seriousness of this illness. I've been told it's not really all that bad; it's all in my head; I need to get over it. I even had one “friend” who was always “accidentally” exposing me to things that were known to cause bad reactions. I later figured out that she was “testing” me and if she didn't see an immediate reaction from me, then I must be faking it. I think this book would help people understand MCS, and me, better.

I seriously can't recommend this book enough. It's a must read for everyone. Chemicals are everywhere and we need to start paying attention to the harm they're doing to us.

Five Stars

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Looks like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to find this book. It's so helpful. :)

      Delete
  2. I sympathize with your chemical sensitivities. I know many people are afflicted with these reactions and that the problem is growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like the problem is growing. That's why I feel so strongly about getting the word out and trying to bring it to the attention of people who might not know about it. Maybe it could help somebody. :)

      Delete