Monday, August 3, 2020

Review: Badlands Witch (Cormac and Amelia) by Carrie Vaughn

About the Book
In brand-new stories spun off from the New York Times Bestselling Kitty Norville series, dark mysteries push the bounds of sanity. Cormac Bennett, ex-con and former bounty hunter, is a paranormal investigator with an edge: his partner is the disembodied spirit of a Victorian wizard, Amelia Parker. Together, they solve problems no one else can.

Cormac and Amelia travel to South Dakota, where an archeologist has hired them to examine an artifact for possible magical qualities. Cormac is skeptical, Amelia is intrigued. And it turns out – the whole thing is a trap. Cormac used to make his living killing monsters, and he made more than a few enemies back in the day. Who from his past is out for revenge, and can he and Amelia survive?


My Thoughts

Badlands Witch is the second Kitty Norville spinoff featuring Cormac and Amelia. I love these two characters. They have such an interesting and unique relationship. The dynamic between the two is so great.

This time around, on a new case in South Dakota, Cormac walks right into a trap. His past has come back to haunt him, but he has no idea who set the trap or why. That's the problem when you have as many enemies as he does. But when he does start piecing the clues together, they don't make any sense. Can he figure it out before something dire happens to him or Amelia?

This was a quick read that I read in one afternoon. It held my full attention and helped me get out of a reading slump. I hope there are many more stories featuring Cormac and Amelia. They're such a fun pair to read about.

Four Stars

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I like the sound of this one! I need to look for the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy, fun partnership! I'd totally read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such an awesome duo. I don't think I've ready any others quite like them. :)

      Delete