Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Can't Wait Wednesday: All the Ever Afters: The Untold Story of Cinderella’s Stepmother by Danielle Teller

Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings that spotlights and discusses the books we're excited about that we've yet to read. Generally, they're books that are yet to be released. It's based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week I'm featuring All the Ever Afters: The Untold Story of Cinderella’s Stepmother by Danielle Teller releasing May 22, 2018.

About the Book
In the vein of Wicked, The Woodcutter, and Boy, Snow, Bird, a luminous reimagining of a classic tale, told from the perspective of Agnes, Cinderella’s "evil" stepmother.

We all know the story of Cinderella. Or do we?

As rumors about the cruel upbringing of beautiful newlywed Princess Cinderella roil the kingdom, her stepmother, Agnes, who knows all too well about hardship, privately records the true story. . . .

A peasant born into serfdom, Agnes is separated from her family and forced into servitude as a laundress’s apprentice when she is only ten years old. Using her wits and ingenuity, she escapes her tyrannical matron and makes her way toward a hopeful future. When teenaged Agnes is seduced by an older man and becomes pregnant, she is transformed by love for her child. Once again left penniless, Agnes has no choice but to return to servitude at the manor she thought she had left behind. Her new position is nursemaid to Ella, an otherworldly infant. She struggles to love the child who in time becomes her stepdaughter and, eventually, the celebrated princess who embodies everyone’s unattainable fantasies. The story of their relationship reveals that nothing is what it seems, that beauty is not always desirable, and that love can take on many guises.

Lyrically told, emotionally evocative, and brilliantly perceptive, All the Ever Afters explores the hidden complexities that lie beneath classic tales of good and evil, all the while showing us that how we confront adversity reveals a more profound, and ultimately more important, truth than the ideal of "happily ever after."

Why I Need It
I'm a big fan of fairytale retellings. I love it when a story I've known forever gets flipped and becomes something unexpected and new. Cinderella has always been one of my favorites and I'm so interested in getting the 'real' story of her stepmother.

What book are you eagerly anticipating?

12 comments:

  1. Looks good, and ooh the stepmom gets her turn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so interested to hear her side of the story. Thanks for stopping by, Greg! :)

      Delete
  2. The evil-stepmother’s side of things will be a interesting read for sure. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so interesting to hear things from the villain's perspective. Thanks for visiting, Jenea! :)

      Delete
  3. Stunning cover, Ashley!

    I like retellings of fairy tales! I'm sure i'd like this.

    Here is mine: http://bit.ly/PamHarju

    Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retellings are some of my favorite things to read. Thanks for coming by, Sassy! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The cover is AWESOME! Thanks for stopping by, Eve! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm really interested in this one and I agree with Eve, I love the cover. I did read the Woodcutter though and it bored me to tears. I had to check and make sure this one isn't by the same author - nope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to read The Woodcutter a few times and couldn't get into it either. Thanks for coming by, Barb! :)

      Delete
  6. So happy that I stumbled on your post! I hadn't heard of this title, but I LOVE fairytale retellings. Wicked and The Woodcutter were fantastic. I'll definitely be adding this to my to-read list!
    Here is my Waiting on Wednesday post for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked is one of my favorite books ever, so when I saw this one compared to it, I got super excited. Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete