Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review: Light of Dawn (The Remnant #3) by Vannetta Chapman


Summary

Before Dawn, What Dangers Lurk in the Darkness?
For nine months, since a devastating solar flare caused a complete failure of the electrical grid, Shelby Sparks and her diabetic son, Carter, have been living at the ranch of Shelby's high school sweetheart, Max Berkman.

Mostly insulated from the chaos surrounding them, Shelby and Max discover that the Texas government has fled the capitol and is barely maintaining control of the state. The governor needs volunteers to search for the new federal government, but no one knows exactly where it might be located—if it even still exists—or what perils await those brave enough to take on the mission.

Compelled by Carter's desperate need for insulin and their God-given sense of duty, Shelby and Max answer the governor's call and set out on a treacherous 600-mile journey, where they will experience the terrifying effects of unrestrained anarchy. If they have the faith and fortitude necessary to reach their destination, what will they find when they get there?

In this thrilling conclusion to the Remnant trilogy, America is left teetering between total collapse and the dawn of a new and vastly different reality.


My Review

Four Stars

I'm sad to see this series end. It's been a fascinating look at what could happen if a solar flare totally wiped out all modern technology. It's scary to think of the events that happen in the book really happening, but it's a great reminder to be prepared and to always lean on God.

I really appreciated the “Excerpts from Shelby's Journal” at the beginning. It bridged the gap between the end of Raging Storm (book two) and beginning of this one really well.

“We're going to weather this. Together we will find a way.” The first sentence of Light of Dawn and it perfectly captures what, I feel, is the message at the heart of this series... Finding a way through a difficult situation together, with friends, family, neighbors, and most importantly, God.

Chapter One begins nine months after the solar flare. They've had time to get settled at High Fields Ranch and they've started getting used to life with no modern technology. At the behest of Governor Reed, the gang's all back together after agreeing to go on a journey across the country to try and find the missing federal government. Along the way, they meet many interesting people, some good, some bad. My favorites were Dan the music man and Mary Jane and Stu.

There were quite a few times when I was shocked by what happened, when my heart was racing, when I was holding my breath, and wishing I could read faster so I could find out what would happen next as quick as possible.

A couple of my favorite quotes were “Sometimes you do a thing because it's the right thing to do. Not because it makes sense.” and “When you're completely lost, when you have no idea what comes next or why things are happening, faith is what gets you through. Even if you're not sure what you believe, you keep doing the things you know in your heart are the right things.”

I feel like I learned a lot from these books. I hope and pray that the power grid never goes down, that the events in this series never take place in real life, but if it did, I feel better prepared because of these books. I highly recommend this series to everyone!

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my own honest opinion.


To learn more about Vannetta Chapman visit her website, Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, or blog.

2 comments: