Monday, September 28, 2026

Review: Galinda: A Charmed Childhood by Gregory Maguire

SYNOPSIS
#1 New York Times bestselling author of Wicked Gregory Maguire shares the eagerly awaited origin story of Galinda, the pink-clad, effervescent, and popular favorite character in this sister volume to Elphie.

Who was Glinda the Good Witch before she floated down in her bubble to greet Dorothy? Who was Glinda before she became Elphaba Thropp’s magnetic and popular roommate at Shiz University?

Well, before then, she was Galinda. With a “ga.”

The youngest of four children in a high-born family down on their luck, Galinda is both pampered and ignored. Her natural grace promises to elevate her in the district dance competitions—but these efforts distract her from seeing the growing resentments of local merchants who disapprove of her family’s business strategies. Enmired in the self-satisfactions and unnamed timidities of childhood, Galinda finds in herself neither canniness nor the need to cultivate it. However, as her father deftly pivots around the snares and nets laid for him by his competitors, Galinda begins to dance toward a life that might lift her above her proud, if hardscrabble, childhood.

Galinda reveals the girl behind the bubbly, shallow cliché—offering fans of Wicked their first richer glimpse into the life of a beloved and iconic character.


MY THOUGHTS

I had mixed feelings when I read Elphie last year. I think my expectations were just a little off. So I went into this book with different expectations, and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

I liked getting to know more about Galinda and seeing how she became who she was. This book explained so much. It was really interesting getting to know her family too. I will say that I didn’t enjoy the parts of the book that focused more on Ham, one of Galinda’s brothers, quite as much. But, again, it explained a lot.

This book was slower paced. Nothing all that exciting happened. It was more slice of life than anything. But I couldn’t put it down. I was completely hooked. I really enjoyed my time reading it. I recommend it to anyone who has read Wicked.

Note: This book does contain some strong language.

I received a copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.

FOUR STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment