Monday, May 8, 2023

Review: Necklace Without A Trace (Sierra Finley Adventures #1) by Lucy Penrose

About the Book
I've struggled, using all of my savings to get here to Deva city, with its floating airships and steam-propelled motorcars. I'm basically penniless, and soon to be homeless, never again able to feast my eyes on the city's brass luster.

I’ve come all this way to work for The Guild. An antique magical necklace has been stolen, and I’m assigned the case. If I don't screw this up, I'll achieve my dream of being a private investigator.

Unfortunately, the crime scene has no prints, no suspects, and no evidence. No pressure, right?

With supernatural creatures roaming the city, and monstrous mechanical creations in every corner, my job seems to get more difficult by the minute. A handsome shapeshifter dogs my every step, just waiting for me to mess up. Sneaky gnomes aren't exactly helping either. I’m threatened by lords, and sipping tea with the upper-crust. I'm way out of my depth.

How will I get out of this mess?

Necklace Without a Trace is the first novel in the Sierra Finley Adventure series: a cozy fantasy adventure set in a Victorian steampunk world full of mythical beasts and monsters, dirigibles and crazy inventions. Join Sierra in a story of adventure, crazy hijinks, and self-discovery.


MY THOUGHTS

This was fun! I'm always on the lookout for a good steampunk book and this didn't disappoint. The worldbuilding was great, and I liked the fact that there were a plethora of different paranormal creatures. Pixies, shapeshifters, vampires, satyrs, fae, trolls, gorgons, ghosts... the list could go on.

Sierra was a likable heroine with spunk and determination. She wants nothing more than to be a private investigator with the Guild, but it's gonna be an uphill battle. She has to prove herself on a probationary case first. She's tasked with finding a valuable necklace that was stolen from a museum. This high-profile case really tests her. There were plenty of suspects, and while I had my suspicions about who the guilty party was, I wasn't sure until right before the reveal.

I really enjoyed this book and hope there are many more stories to come!

FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. I love that Victorian steampunk setting! And Sierra sounds like a very fun character. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun setting, isn't it? I can't seem to get enough of it. :D

      Delete