Thursday, November 17, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Courting Misfortune (The Joplin Chronicles #1) by Regina Jennings

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday.

This week I'm featuring Courting Misfortune (The Joplin Chronicles #1) by Regina Jennings

About the Book
Calista York needs one more successful case as a Pinkerton operative to secure her job. When she's assigned to find the kidnapped daughter of a mob boss, she's sent to the rowdy mining town of Joplin, Missouri, despite having extended family in the area. Will their meddling expose her mission and keep Lila Seaton from being recovered?

When Matthew Cook decided to be a missionary, he never expected to be sent only a short train ride away. While fighting against corruption of all sorts, Matthew hears of a baby raffle being held to raise funds for a children's home. He'll do what he can to stop it, but he also wants to stop the reckless Miss York, whose bad judgment consistently seems to be putting her in harm's way.

Calista doesn't need the handsome pastor interfering with her investigation, and she can't let her disguise slip. Her job and the life of a young lady depend on keeping Matthew in the dark.

Book Beginnings / First Line Friday
1898
Chicago
"You want me to work for Jinxy Seaton?" Calista York dropped her handbag onto her desk and reached up to remove her hatpin from her heavy swirl of brown curls. "The last I heard, we had scruples against helping criminal gangsters who corrupt Chicago with their nefarious - "

Friday 56
"It's hard for me to say this, and it's going to be even harder for you to hear, Matthew, but I can't tell you what I'm doing. You have to trust me."

What have you been reading lately?

14 comments:

  1. Courting Misfortune looks interesting. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only discovered this author this year. Hope you enjoy it.

    Here is my Friday post: https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2022/11/book-spotlight-fridays-betrayer.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those teasers are intriguing. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! It was a lot of fun! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. Those snippets are definitely interesting!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. This was actually my first full-length book I've read of hers. I'm looking forward to reading more. This was a lot of fun. Hope you have a great weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the series by Regina!

    My first line comes from Nightfall in the Garden of Deep Time by award winner Tracy Higley!
    Prologue
    Location- from the street
    A wasted city lot, hidden behind a blank wall of moldering brick, empty of all but scrabbly weeds grown tree-height and the wind-blown detritus of several apathetic generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Nightfall in the Garden of Deep Time! It's such a beautiful and encouraging read. Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed this one. I'm reading Blackout Book Club by Amy Lynn Green and the first line is: "Avis Montgomery, January 31, 1942, Derby, Maine - Avis gripped the ladder as her husband climbed, a thick swath of black bunting draped over his shoulder." ~ Hope you're having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read this one. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete