Monday, March 28, 2022

Review: Cinderella Must Die by W.R. Gingell

About the Book
Cinderella is married to The Prince, and the Evil Stepsisters are banished to a pocket dimension for their punishment and rehabilitation. It’s Happily Ever After.

Or is it?

Jane and Charlie have been imprisoned for two years now, serving a sentence especially chosen by their stepsister as justice for her sufferings. It seems that they’re the only two people in the world besides Ellen who know that Ellen’s “sufferings” were a carefully manipulative campaign to win a prince and a crown; the two stepsisters merely collateral damage.

But now, trouble is brewing at the castle: death threats, torn gowns, ruined books.

Is Ellen up to her old tricks, or is someone really trying to kill her? And when even their closest friends didn’t believe them innocent the first time, can Jane and Charlie escape the blame a second time if Ellen does die?


MY THOUGHTS

If you know me, then you know I love a good retelling, Cinderella ones in particular. Though I think because that was my favorite fairytale when I was a kid, I'm a little pickier when it's retold. This one, from one of my favorite authors, was really good. It did take me just a little bit to get into it, but it wasn't long before I was obsessed and reading as fast as possible.

This story completely flips the original narrative and paints Cinderella as the villain and her stepsisters as the protagonists. I loved the whole idea and thought it was executed really well. And because it's a W.R. Gingell novel, it was a twisty and unpredictable ride from start to finish. That's one of the things I love about Gingell's books; I never know what will happen next. I'm constantly being surprised. I might think I have things figured out, but nope! I love when that happens! If you're a fan of twisted fairytales, pick up a copy of this book. You won't be disappointed.

FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. Twisted fairy tale retellings can be a lot of fun...especially when the author is such a good storyteller. :)

    ReplyDelete