Monday, October 14, 2024

Review: To Defy a Dream by Mary Mecham

About the Book
What if Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger on purpose?

Princess Aurelia’s kingdom is plagued by the Eternal Slumber, a disease progressively ensnaring the minds of her subjects. After Aurelia wishes for the means to revive her brother, her sinister fairy godmother presents an ominous solution: Aurelia must stab herself with a poisoned spindle.

Accepting this fate plunges Aurelia into a nightmare where victims of the Eternal Slumber are being held hostage by a dark djinni. However, Aurelia’s brother isn’t the only familiar face she finds herself reunited with; Everett, the love of her life who mysteriously disappeared years ago, is there as well. As the djinni’s power grows, Aurelia must decide who to save before the djinni escapes and enters the waking world.

Failing on her quest could trap her in the dream world forever. Will she forgo her chance at a happily ever after and protect her brother, or will she choose to rescue herself and the man she loves?

No matter who she chooses, someone will be doomed to remain in the nightmare that never ends.

To Defy a Dream is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. It is one of twelve novellas in The Shattered Tales, a collection of twelve fractured retellings of your favorite fairy tales. They can be enjoyed in any order, so fall in love with the swoony sweet romances, magical adventures, and tale-shattering twists one happily-ever-after at a time!



MY THOUGHTS

I’ve been wanting to read something by this author for awhile, and I’m so happy that I finally did. This was a fun and twisted retelling of Sleeping Beauty. It poses the question of, What if she pricked her finger on purpose? Color me intrigued! What would make her do that? I was glued to the pages! It’s a quick read, but it’s jam-packed full of goodness.

The worldbuilding was excellent. Everything was fleshed out, and the volcanic realm really came to life. Both frightening and fascinating, I was captivated and found myself having a difficult time putting the book down!

While I admired Aurelia’s desire to find a cure for the Eternal Slumber, she was a bit impulsive and headstrong. There were some moments where I had a hard time liking her, but by the end, she really grew on me.

If you’re looking for a unique retelling, grab a copy of this book. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading more from this author.

FOUR STARS

2 comments:

  1. It's such an interesting premise for a retelling of Sleeping Beauty! Makes me curious about the other 11 fractured retellings. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love a good, twisted retelling. It always amazes me to see how many different ways a story can be told. :D

      Delete