Thursday, June 27, 2024

Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, & Friday 56: Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. I'm also linking up with Carrie at Reading is My Superpower for First Line Friday. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two. Freda is taking a hiatus right now, but Anne over at My Head is Full of Books has taken over in the meantime.

This week I'm featuring Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett. I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now and am so excited that I finally got a chance. I'm loving it! 

About the Book
A curmudgeonly professor journeys to a small town in the far north to study faerie folklore and discovers dark fae magic, friendship, and love in the start of a heartwarming and enchanting new fantasy series.

Cambridge professor Emily Wilde is good at many things: She is the foremost expert on the study of faeries. She is a genius scholar and a meticulous researcher who is writing the world's first encyclopaedia of faerie lore. But Emily Wilde is not good at people. She could never make small talk at a party--or even get invited to one. And she prefers the company of her books, her dog, and the Fair Folk.

So when she arrives in the hardscrabble village of Hrafnsvik, Emily has no intention of befriending the gruff townsfolk. Nor does she care to spend time with another new arrival: her dashing and insufferably handsome academic rival Wendell Bambleby, who manages to charm the townsfolk, get in the middle of Emily's research, and utterly confound and frustrate her.

But as Emily gets closer and closer to uncovering the secrets of the Hidden Ones--the most elusive of all faeries--lurking in the shadowy forest outside the town, she also finds herself on the trail of another mystery: Who is Wendell Bambleby, and what does he really want? To find the answer, she'll have to unlock the greatest mystery of all--her own heart.

Book Beginning / First Line Friday
Shadow is not at all happy with me. He lies by the fire while the chill wind rattles the door, tail inert, staring out from beneath that shaggy forelock of his with the sort of accusatory resignation peculiar to dogs, as if to say: Of all the stupid adventures you've dragged me on, this will surely be the death of us. I fear I have to agree, though this makes me no less eager to begin my research.

Friday 56
Even though I was looking directly at him, at times it felt as if I were staring right through him to the stars and mountains at his back. I could read only mischief in his gaze, which frightened me more than the malevolence I saw in many of the others, though I couldn't say way.

What have you been reading lately?

10 comments:

  1. I am so excited for this book. I hope you really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! I loved it! So excited for the rest of the series! :D

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this book about a fairy researcher a lot, and I am not really a person who knows much about fairies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy it too! Hope you have a great week! :)

      Delete
  3. I read this book earlier this year and loved it. So fun. Emily's such a great character, and I love her dog. The second book is equally good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that the second book is just as good! I'm eager to get my hands on a copy. I loved this one. Have a wonderful week, Lark! :D

      Delete
  4. I heard that this book is set in the winter, so I'm waiting for cooler weather to roll around before I read it. I've heard great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lives up to the hype! I read this during 100+ degree heat and it was nice to be transported to someplace cooler, lol! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorite books from last year. I hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! It's one of the best I've read this year. Hope you have a great week! :D

      Delete