Thursday, February 3, 2022

Book Beginnings + Friday 56: Good Neighbors by Stephanie Burgis

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader that asks you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you're reading. Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and asks you to grab a book (any book), turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader and share a non-spoilery sentence or two.

This week I'm featuring Good Neighbors by Stephanie Burgis. It's a romantic historical fantasy collection of short stories/novellas following the same characters. I will say that this wasn't one of my favorites from this author, but it was still enjoyable, especially the first two stories.

About the Book
When a grumpy inventor meets her outrageous new neighbor in the big black castle down the road, more than one type of spark will fly!

Mia Brandt knows better than to ever again allow her true powers to be discovered. Ever since her last neighbors burned down her workshop in a night of terror and flame, she's been determined to stay solitary, safe, and - to all outside appearances - perfectly respectable...

But Leander Fabian, whose sinister castle looms over her cozy new cottage, has far more dangerous ideas in mind. When he persuades Mia into a reluctant alliance, she finds herself swept into an exhilarating world of midnight balls, interfering countesses, illicit opera house expeditions, necromantic duels, and a whole unnatural community of fellow magic-workers and outcasts, all of whom are facing a terrifying threat.

Luckily, Mia has unnatural powers of her own - but even her unique skills may not be enough to protect her new found family and help her resist the wickedly provoking neighbor who's seen through all of her shields from the beginning.

This novel-length collection includes all four stories and novellas originally published on Stephanie Burgis's Patreon in 2020-2021: Good NeighborsDeadly CourtesiesFine Deceptions, and Fierce Company.
 
Book Beginnings (From the first story: Good Neighbors)
It wasn't so bad living next door to a notorious necromancer, most of the time.

Friday 56 (From the third story: Fine Deceptions)
I looked at my first-ever ally and friend, who was waiting for my response with hectic color staining his alabaster cheeks and an anguished look in his gleaming dark eyes.

What have you been reading lately?

18 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Got me. When I read "inventor" I thought male. I hope this book continues surprising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were definitely some surprises I didn't see coming. Thanks for stopping by, Anne! Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  2. That opening line made me smile. Sorry it wasn't quite as good as some of the author's other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that opener. It definitely set the tone for the first two stories. Thanks for coming by, Mark! Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh love the sound of this, the opening sounds super fun and then the F56 is so brooding! Shame you didn't entirely love it, but sometimes a breezy and fun read is all you need! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juli! It was a fun and cozy read with moments of seriousness. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. These two characters do sound like a lot of fun. I wish it was just a novel about them instead of a collection of short stories though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda wish it had been a novel too. Maybe the flow would've been better. It was still an enjoyable read though. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a lovely weekend, Lark! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great collection! I really liked that first line! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that first line too. It put a smile on my face for some reason. Thanks for visiting! Happy weekend! :)

      Delete
  6. I like the cover of it. Have a great weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-37-dreams-of-gold.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. There's something so appealing to me about that color. Thanks for coming by, Cindy! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  7. I love that beginning to Good Neighbors. A necromancer neighbor! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh! Another one I'm not sure I can resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun one! There was more romance than what I was expecting, but it was still good. Thanks for stopping by, jenclair! Have a lovely weekend! :)

      Delete